Novice grade question/theory

Old August 14th 04, 06:15 AM
spam this

Default Novice grade question/theory

Group,

In my youth there was a magazine, *Saturday Evening Post* and frequently
there was an article by an author I can't remember, but they were always
about mathematical things like mobius strips, and the like.

So what I have bouncing around my tiny brain is the thought that perhaps the
universe has the construct of a Klein Bottle or some other device that can
have thickness but only one surface and no edges. This would allow for the
perception of expansion in every direction, red shifts, no center of
expansion, etc. It also allows for a finite system to appear infinite.

Am I way off the scale here or maybe just a little bit possibly right?

I have always had a big problem with the concept of where the universe was
expanding into. the answer, "time", is unsatisfying to me ( which doesn't
mean it is the *wrong* answer.)

Before I press the send icon I will don my kevlar skivvies and await your

Old August 14th 04, 09:22 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , spam this
writes
Group,

In my youth there was a magazine, *Saturday Evening Post* and frequently
there was an article by an author I can't remember, but they were always
about mathematical things like mobius strips, and the like.

So what I have bouncing around my tiny brain is the thought that perhaps the
universe has the construct of a Klein Bottle or some other device that can
have thickness but only one surface and no edges. This would allow for the
perception of expansion in every direction, red shifts, no center of
expansion, etc. It also allows for a finite system to appear infinite.

Am I way off the scale here or maybe just a little bit possibly right?

I have always had a big problem with the concept of where the universe was
expanding into. the answer, "time", is unsatisfying to me ( which doesn't
mean it is the *wrong* answer.)

A quick Google search confirms that cosmologists have certainly looked
at the idea that the universe may be like a Klein bottle, or some other
exotic shape. But I don't think there's any evidence yet that the
universe isn't a simple "flat" topology.
AIUI, the universe isn't expanding "into" anything. I'll stop here
before I get a headache :-)
Old August 15th 04, 12:18 AM
Ian Smith

"Jonathan Silverlight"
wrote in message ...
[...]

Who came up with the fractal universe hypothesis, in which our
universe is a particle within a larger universe, which in turn is part
of an even larger one, to infinity; and all constituent particles of
each universe contain smaller universes, to infinity? I seem to
remember reading about it somewhere.
One variation of that, I considered, is partially fractal, in
which each universe is a particle in a bigger universe, but for a
finite number of steps; the largest universe existing as a particle
inside the smallest one; the whole system consequently forming a ring
or closed loop.
Sometimes I find such thoughts a pleasant distraction from
everyday trivia. :-)

--
"Existence is merely a figment of your imagination."

Old August 15th 04, 12:50 AM
Paul Lawler

"Ian Smith" wrote in news:411e9c01$0
:

Who came up with the fractal universe hypothesis, in which our
universe is a particle within a larger universe, which in turn is part
of an even larger one, to infinity; and all constituent particles of
each universe contain smaller universes, to infinity? I seem to
remember reading about it somewhere.
One variation of that, I considered, is partially fractal, in
which each universe is a particle in a bigger universe, but for a
finite number of steps; the largest universe existing as a particle
inside the smallest one; the whole system consequently forming a ring
or closed loop.

A cosmologist at the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy, Paul
Coleman, has done quite a bit with the idea of a fractal universe, but his
theories are far from universally (or even widely) accepted.

Research Grade mirrors Steve Research 0 December 9th 03 10:48 AM
Novice Astronomy clubs in Houston, Texas? swbell Misc 2 August 23rd 03 11:37 AM