NASA Scientists Discover New Solar Flare Mechanism

Old August 14th 04, 04:34 PM
Mad Scientist

Default NASA Scientists Discover New Solar Flare Mechanism

I always knew that 'magnetic reconnection' theories concerning solar
flares were just one part of the puzzle. I used to call it the sun's
'magnetic paradigm of power' prior to the discovery of the inner
magnetic field of the sun, which is responsible by the way for the
difference in temperatures. Clearly scientists have discovered a new
form of how electromagnetic light can be 'squeezed' by gravity and other
forces not yet entirely understood. I also find it quite interesting
how they describe for what may be the first time publicly, 'invisible
colors' that were previously unknown to exist in the universe, as least
unknown by conventional science that is.

---
Antimatter Factory On Sun Yields Clues

September 2003

Goddard Space Flight Center -- The best look yet at how a solar
explosion becomes an antimatter factory gave unexpected insights into
how the tremendous explosions work.

The observation may upset theories about how the explosions, called
solar flares, create and destroy antimatter. It also gave surprising
details about how they blast subatomic particles to almost the speed of
light.

Solar flares are among the most powerful explosions in the solar system;
the largest can release as much energy as a billion one-megaton nuclear
bombs.

A team of researchers used NASA's Reuven Ramaty High Energy Solar
Spectroscopic Imager (RHESSI) spacecraft to take pictures of a solar
flare on July 23, 2002, using the flare's high-energy X-rays and gamma
radiation.

"We are taking pictures of flares in an entirely new color, one
invisible to the human eye, so we expect surprises, and RHESSI gave us a
couple already," said Dr. Robert Lin, a faculty member in the Dept. of
Physics at the University of California, Berkeley, who is the Principal
Investigator for RHESSI.

Mo
http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/.../story001.html

Old August 14th 04, 11:40 PM
John Zinni

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
I always knew that 'magnetic reconnection' theories concerning solar
flares were just one part of the puzzle. I used to call it the sun's
'magnetic paradigm of power' prior to the discovery of the inner
magnetic field of the sun, which is responsible by the way for the
difference in temperatures. Clearly scientists have discovered a new
form of how electromagnetic light can be 'squeezed' by gravity and other
forces not yet entirely understood.

I also find it quite interesting
how they describe for what may be the first time publicly, 'invisible
colors' that were previously unknown to exist in the universe, as least
unknown by conventional science that is.

BAH HA Ha ha ... HA Ha ha ... ha ... oh god ...

Yup, "X-rays and gamma radiation" ... never head of them before.

---