the (slow) speed of light

Old April 16th 10, 04:30 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
BURT

Default the (slow) speed of light

On Apr 15, 8:02*pm, Uncle Al wrote:
calvin wrote:

People seem to think the speed of light is fast, but
that's only with respect to our snail-paced affairs.
It's actually agonizingly slow. *It takes eight minutes
to get from our main light source to us, for God's sake,

499.005215 light-seconds for an AU, and god had nothing to do with
it. *Look at the permeability and permittivity of free space.

and hours to get to the outer planets.

What is the rush? *Do you want NASA laborers stomping on Mars or the
surface of the sun (at night, of course)?

Four years to the nearest stars, while there are hundreds
of billions of stars in the galaxy. *Give me a break. *Light
creeps across the galaxy, taking untold thousands of
years to get from one side of it to the other.

Friction is important. *Think of reality as proceeding doggie style.
How will it plant its knees?

Communication with other galaxies? *Forget it, unless
you have hundreds of thousands of years to wait for a
reply.

No cell phone is a blessing.

*Face it, the slow speed of light has us trapped
permanently in our microscopically tiny region of this
one galaxy, and our sphere of possible meaningful
communication is not a whole lot larger.

Open a subspace channel and drown in hyperspam. *The last thing you
really want is a universe overflowing with dead immortal Mormons each
with his or her own planet knocking on your door in pairs.

So we ask ourselves, "is it Moroni with his trumpet or the triumphant
inventor of the yard of beer?" *Make your choice and express no
regrets thereafter.

--
Uncle Alhttp://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
*(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz4.htm

God fit the Moon neatly accross the Sun.

Go figure.

Mitch Raemsch
Old April 16th 10, 06:52 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

calvin wrote:

[...]

But only as of 12900 BP did God get with the program of giving us that
moon.

You are aware that planets and moon can in fact be captured?

~ BG
Old April 16th 10, 06:34 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Igor

calvin wrote:

[...]

He did? You've probably never seen an annular solar eclipse.