Damn- damn damn!

Old April 13th 05, 03:46 PM
Ronald Alpiar

Most street lamps have a photocell on top which switches them off
when triggered by daylight. Try aiming a pointer-laser at the
photo-cell.

Old April 13th 05, 06:00 PM
Tim Auton

"James Hill" wrote:

Well, the local council have just put something on the light that overlooks
the darkest part of my garden and there is now very little light from it!
Either that or someone other than myself has painted the back of the lamp.
So I can't complain about that, but...

All I have to deal with now is the *four* "security" suns that the house at
the foot of my garden has on at night. Two of which point directly into my
little nipper's bedroom window! *grr*

Bedroom? The council should sort that out. Much easier to get them to
take action if it's disturbing your sleep than it is to convince them
ruining your astronomy is worthy of their time. Councils understand
sleep, less so astronomy.

Tim
--
Complex in, complex process, complex out.
Old April 13th 05, 07:02 PM
Martin Frey

Tim Auton wrote:

Bedroom? The council should sort that out.

Light intrusion is now illegal (unless its from a bus depot or a
football field) Prescott's bill made it to law and has received royal
assent. Most of this group scoff cynically - but a law is what the
courts make of it and the mood is that they should make something of
it - it's up to victims to become plaintiffs, bring actions and make
the courts take notice. Sounds daunting but it really isn't and is the
only way that law gets substance and habits are made to change.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 13th 05, 07:20 PM
Lawrence

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:46:18 +0100, "Ronald Alpiar"
wrote:

Most street lamps have a photocell on top which switches them off
when triggered by daylight. Try aiming a pointer-laser at the
photo-cell.

I will try this; surely though, the effect would be short-lived?

Lawrence

Old April 13th 05, 10:30 PM
Tim Auton

Martin Frey wrote:
Tim Auton wrote:

Bedroom? The council should sort that out.

Light intrusion is now illegal (unless its from a bus depot or a
football field) Prescott's bill made it to law and has received royal
assent. Most of this group scoff cynically - but a law is what the
courts make of it and the mood is that they should make something of
it - it's up to victims to become plaintiffs, bring actions and make
the courts take notice. Sounds daunting but it really isn't and is the
only way that law gets substance and habits are made to change.

Do you have to take it to court yourself, or does it fall under the
council's remit? Of course ultimately we have to do things ourselves
to enforce our rights, but it's much easier to get public servants to
do it. They are our servants after all (though often they do seem to
think it's the other way round).

Tim
--
Complex in, complex process, complex out.
Old April 13th 05, 10:32 PM
Tim Auton

wrote:

Most street lamps have a photocell on top which switches them off
when triggered by daylight. Try aiming a pointer-laser at the
photo-cell.

I will try this; surely though, the effect would be short-lived?

Stick it on a tripod or fashion a bracket, assuming you want to accept
the possibility of you being liable for any harm which may be caused
by the light being out. IANAL.

Tim
--
Complex in, complex process, complex out.
Old April 13th 05, 11:11 PM
Martin

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
news
Tim Auton wrote:

Bedroom? The council should sort that out.

Light intrusion is now illegal (unless its from a bus depot or a
football field) Prescott's bill made it to law and has received royal
assent. Most of this group scoff cynically - but a law is what the
courts make of it and the mood is that they should make something of
it - it's up to victims to become plaintiffs, bring actions and make
the courts take notice. Sounds daunting but it really isn't and is the
only way that law gets substance and habits are made to change.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 02 E 0 47

You must be the only person left in this festering hole of a Country that
really thinks the law works. The only thing politicians pass that they
really understand is wind (and they have plenty of that)

Martin

Old April 14th 05, 04:52 PM
James Hill

Well, this morning, I've just found out that while *he* is an arse, his
wife, isn't. In fact she seems very reasonable. She was pottering around in
her garden and saw my wife doing the same and called her over and they got
on like the proverbial house on fire (although I think that my wife showing
off a cute-as-you-like eight week old nipper helped!) and the lights were
brought up in conversation and she said that she will "see what she can do."

So, I wonder who wears the trousers there then. ;o) That might explain his
arseyness.

So before legal methods, send the wife in!

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Jim

Old April 14th 05, 06:20 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Tue,
12 Apr 2005 23:03:20, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Tim Hicks
posted :

Ironically, standing directly beneath the lamp and hurling a large flint
would likely be just as effective, but likely to incur a lesser charge.

There is another problem with that.

If one is successful, it will suddenly get too dark, in comparison with
what one's eyes are accustomed to, to see descending directly towards
one's head one large flint and an unknown number of lamp components.

Reminds me of the story of the dog, the field, and the AA gun.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old April 14th 05, 09:01 PM
Tim Hicks

Dr John Stockton wrote:
JRS: In article , dated Tue,
12 Apr 2005 23:03:20, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Tim Hicks
posted :

Ironically, standing directly beneath the lamp and hurling a large flint
would likely be just as effective, but likely to incur a lesser charge.

There is another problem with that.

If one is successful, it will suddenly get too dark, in comparison with
what one's eyes are accustomed to, to see descending directly towards
one's head one large flint and an unknown number of lamp components.

Reminds me of the story of the dog, the field, and the AA gun.

lol! True enough.

Tim