pain relief?? no way

Old August 9th 04, 05:42 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default pain relief?? no way

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:29:34 GMT, "MikeThomas" wrote:

This is BS! I experience no pain relief AT ALL under the influence of THC.
The other day I sprained my ankle
then decided to test this idea. It didn't aleviate the pain AT ALL..period!
If anything, it amplfied the pain due
to an elevated sense of "awareness" or mild paranoia about my sprained
ankle.

The only thing that did work was Tylenol.

And for me, Tylenol (acetaminophen) has no effect on any sort of pain. Excedrin
(aspirin, acetaminophen, caffeine), on the other hand, works like I imagine
morphine working.

The point being, your individual experience with an analgesic is no indication
of its effectiveness in general. If everyone had the same response to
painkillers, there would be no need for more than one formula.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 9th 04, 05:50 PM
MikeThomas

And for me, Tylenol (acetaminophen) has no effect on any sort of pain.

Excedrin
(aspirin, acetaminophen, caffeine), on the other hand, works like I

imagine
morphine working.

That's because acetaminophen is an anti-inflammatory and not a pain
reliever. Oh,
and I forgot, the 2 tylenol I took is T-2 with 8mg of codeine in every tab.
So thats why
it worked. AND, before you go offering an opinion, go smoke some pot
yourself after
spraining your ankle or having some pain.

Old August 9th 04, 06:11 PM
Wfoley2

I see the assholes STILL cannot stick to the amateur astronomy topic on this
NG.

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old August 9th 04, 06:34 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:50:33 GMT, "MikeThomas" wrote:

AND, before you go offering an opinion, go smoke some pot
yourself after
spraining your ankle or having some pain.

I wasn't making any comment one way or the other on the effectiveness of THC as
an analgesic. I've never tried to use it as one, since other things do the trick
for me.

However, if somebody tells me that it works for them, I've got absolutely no
problem with them using it. Why should I? Even completely bogus things like
acupuncture, chiropractic, and homeopathy work for some people. If something
just supports the power of the mind over pain, that's good enough for me.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 9th 04, 06:50 PM
MikeThomas

"Wfoley2" wrote in message
I see the assholes STILL cannot stick to the amateur astronomy topic on

this
NG.

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

And I see inconsiderate neighbors in the form of Wfoley2

Old August 9th 04, 07:09 PM
MikeThomas

I wasn't making any comment one way or the other on the effectiveness of

THC as
an analgesic. I've never tried to use it as one, since other things do the

trick
for me.

However, if somebody tells me that it works for them, I've got absolutely

no
problem with them using it. Why should I? Even completely bogus things

like
acupuncture, chiropractic, and homeopathy work for some people. If

something
just supports the power of the mind over pain, that's good enough for me.

So you think that even the act of "forgetting" pain due to "what you
believe" is
real pain relief? Try telling that to the dentist next time they want to
drill you. Tell em you don't want the
novocaine or whatever they use as a local.

You contradict yourself when you say 'bogus" on one hand and "good enough
for me " on the other.

Old August 9th 04, 07:14 PM
meow

Wfoley2 wrote:

I see the assholes STILL cannot stick to the amateur astronomy topic on this
NG.

Worse still, the OP has at least 17 sock puppets, and quite often the
socks are acknowledged by the primary.
Old August 9th 04, 09:32 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:09:15 GMT, "MikeThomas" wrote:

So you think that even the act of "forgetting" pain due to "what you
believe" is
real pain relief? Try telling that to the dentist next time they want to
drill you. Tell em you don't want the
novocaine or whatever they use as a local.

I recall a study that was done, interestingly enough, with dentists. Patients
were given a button they could press to release pain control medication on
demand. Patients whose buttons didn't actually do anything got the same degree
of relief as patients who received drugs. Don't ever underestimate the power of
the mind!

You contradict yourself when you say 'bogus" on one hand and "good enough
for me " on the other.

Excuse me for not being more precise. "Bogus" in the sense that there is no
scientific or physical basis for their efficacy. Even if they only work because
of the placebo effect, I'm not going to argue with someone else's decision to
use them, even if I wouldn't myself.

Anyway, enough on this [off] topic.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory