Tele Vue's customer support policy

Old July 19th 03, 06:15 PM
Del Johnson

Default Tele Vue's customer support policy

Even that is much too high. The primary is a rather ordinary 4" f/12
doublet. As I mentioned earlier, D&G doesn't even charge that much for a
hand-made 5" doublet. The flourite element is in the smaller secondary
doublet.

Del Johnson

"Rockett Crawford" wrote in message

Del, I think you're refering to Ron B's earlier post. He said
$1k for a _set_ of SDF lens, not just the front element.

Rockett

--
Capella's Observatory
http://web2.airmail.net/capella

Old July 19th 03, 06:22 PM
Del Johnson

Right off the top there is about 25% profit for the retailer and the even
more for Tele Vue's overhead and profit, leaving less than than half for the
selling price to make a completed shipped telescope. Are you surprised?
Who do you think pays for all the splashy Sky & Telescope ads?

Del Johnson

"Ron B[ee]" wrote in message

Thanks Rockett. And even the $1k I pulled out of the hat
is just mere speculation on my part. There's still the tube,
the fine focuser, and of course labor to assemble, align,
adjust, insurance, and operating cost in NY ;-). Oh and
let's not forget the fine hardcase ;-) and in the case of
the newer Tele Vue's, the free hat ;-).

Ron B[ee]

Old July 19th 03, 08:08 PM
matt

from my experience related to a couple of products manufactured/imported
from China/Taiwan, the price structure is simply amazing. Product
manufacturing costs (which include parts and labor) vary from 5% to 30% of
retail price. Disty (or importer) gets 30%-50% of final retail, and the
retail channel gets anywhere from 15% to 40% . I have witnessed products
being made for $15 selling for $200 in high end stores .Although a bit
extreme, because this was a consumer electronics product, I hope it
illustrates the idea.
For a different product, involving more complex mechanical parts and smaller
production volume , maybe comparable to amateur telescopes, production costs
to retail price ratio was still 1/3 . I have never ever seen in over 25
years of engineering any complex product made in small volume selling for
_only_ double its materials cost . Never. Maybe some desperate company
attempted such lunacy but they didn't last long , given the cost of doing
business and cost of distribution in the USA .

Best Regards,
Matt Tudor , MSEE
http://www.gigahertzelectronics.com

news

Old July 20th 03, 09:09 AM

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:22:28 GMT, "Del Johnson"
wrote:

Right off the top there is about 25% profit for the retailer and the even
more for Tele Vue's overhead and profit, leaving less than than half for the
selling price to make a completed shipped telescope. Are you surprised?
Who do you think pays for all the splashy Sky & Telescope ads?

I have the feeling some retailers see much lower profit margins than
that on TeleVue stuff.
-Rich

Can we be sure that terrorism and WMD will join together?
If we are wrong, we will have destroyed a threat that, at
its least is responsible for inhuman carnage and suffering.
That is something I am confident history will forgive.
But if our critics are wrong and we do not act, then we will
have hesitated in face of this menace, when we should
have given leadership. That is something history will not forgive.
-Tony Blair

Old July 22nd 03, 10:17 AM
Ted Kord

And this is why, perhaps, this country should be quick to abandon these
manufacturing companies. Not only are they willing to put Americans out
of work, they're prepared to deal with and economically prop up the last
great enemy we've got.

(Of course, our own government is already propping them up, with MFNS,
despite the pitiful human rights record.

Sorry, OT. Rant over, back to astronomy.