one more time please...

Old July 22nd 04, 02:35 PM
dude

"Paul Lawler" wrote in message
news
"dude" wrote in message

"Algomeysa2" wrote in message
nk.net...
Venus would just barely be clearing the treetops at 3:15am Wisconsin

time,
and between E and NE.

If his description of SE is accurate, it's probably Deneb Kaitos that

he's
seeing.

What would be helpful, rather than just "No way it's a star!" is if

this
guy
got a compass and got a really accurate reading of where in the sky he

is
looking, and then got a protractor and took note of how many degrees

above
the horizon this thing he's seeing is at, at that particular time.

Well since I'm at work I don't have any of that. As for the direction I

was
wrong since the highway I am by is heading North and this seemed South

of
it. Why I didn't take into consideration is the turn of the highway. So

it
NE actually. Sorry........

But the first time I posted this I thought it was a planet and was told
there are no planets visible at this time of year. Sorry for the wrong
direction and all that...

No planets visible at NIGHT... 3:15 in the morning is MORNING. g

Oh now that is funny... However, I did put the time with AM after it so they
knew what I meant. Besides if it's dark I call it night...

: P

Old July 22nd 04, 06:38 PM
md

"dude" wrote in message ...

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message

"dude" wrote in message
OK last time they told me it was a star because no planets are visible

at
this time... But no way is this a star...

I live in Wisconsin (-6:00GMT). It is currently 3:15am and there is a

bright
object in the SouthEast sky.

It is redish but also twinkles white. It is too big to be a star.

On my days off it was too cloudy to take my telescope out. Now I am at

work
and saw it on my break again.

Please, can someone go outside and tell me WTF it is?!?!?!?

According to my copy of Starry Night, Venus is up in Wisconsin at that
time, and Venus is pretty much at it's brightest.

Thank you... I was told there were no planets visible this time of the year
at night...

no, I told you that in my sky there are no planets visible at 03.00 am, you did not specify
your location in your earlier mails....

Venus would explain it. This is waaaay to big to be a star....

venus also looks like a (very) bright star. What do you mean by "big"?

Old July 23rd 04, 01:49 AM
Aunt Buffy

I've just been talking to Stephen Hawking...he says it must be a WHITE HOLE
pushing thru from another universe...Unfortunately the information about
this phenomenon is missing from my baseball book which became mangled in the
wash.

"dude" wrote in message
OK last time they told me it was a star because no planets are visible at
this time... But no way is this a star...

I live in Wisconsin (-6:00GMT). It is currently 3:15am and there is a

bright
object in the SouthEast sky.

It is redish but also twinkles white. It is too big to be a star.

On my days off it was too cloudy to take my telescope out. Now I am at

work
and saw it on my break again.

Please, can someone go outside and tell me WTF it is?!?!?!?

Thanks...

Old July 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
Info Plumber

Highly unlikely that this is Deneb Kaitos, although it is in the right
direction it is only a mag 3.5 star. A much better candidate, but still not
as bright as you described it would be Diphda (Beta Ceti), a mag 2.0 star.

Venus would be barely above the horizon and more toward the N-E than the S-E
and not the least bit reddish.

Fomalhaut (more SSE than S-E) is a white, mag 1 star also fairly low on the
horizon. What is your latitude, Wisconsin is a pretty big state?

The only other remote possibility is the reddish star Mirach, about mag 2 ,
S-E but very close to the zenith.

IP

"Algomeysa2" wrote in message
k.net...
not if it's in the SE at 3:15am.

Venus would be more E-NE.

If you're truly looking SE, it's Deneb Kaitos.

The question is, an hour later, do you see rising higher Venus to the left
of it?

If so, then you're seeing Deneb Kaitos.

If not, then you're really talking about E-NE, not SE.

"dude" wrote in message

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in

message

"dude" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to try heavens above:
www.heavens-above.com

Old July 23rd 04, 05:31 AM
dude

"Info Plumber" wrote in message
Highly unlikely that this is Deneb Kaitos, although it is in the right
direction it is only a mag 3.5 star. A much better candidate, but still

not
as bright as you described it would be Diphda (Beta Ceti), a mag 2.0 star.

Venus would be barely above the horizon and more toward the N-E than the

S-E

It is in the NE. I was using the highway for the direction instead of my
brain. When the sun came up I knew I was wrong about that one... Sorry
again.........

and not the least bit reddish.

It must be the atmosphere making it red. Last week it was red the whole time
I watched it. Yesterday it was red and twinkling white. Then when I checked
it later it was almost totally white. I just wished I could see it on my day
off but every week when I am off of work it is totally overcast....

,
S-E but very close to the zenith.

IP

The reason I didn't give so much detail and double-check my facts earlier is
because I assumed since it had to be a planet you guys would nail it in a
second. I shouldn't have been so lazy with my details...

:{

"Algomeysa2" wrote in message
k.net...
not if it's in the SE at 3:15am.

Venus would be more E-NE.

If you're truly looking SE, it's Deneb Kaitos.

The question is, an hour later, do you see rising higher Venus to the

left
of it?

If so, then you're seeing Deneb Kaitos.

If not, then you're really talking about E-NE, not SE.

"dude" wrote in message

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in

message