Ebay scopes

Old July 20th 04, 06:06 AM
Tom

Default Ebay scopes

There is a seller on ebay who has an abundance of 6 inch reflectors
on eq mounts. Most go for around 75 dollars. The quality looks
OK from the pictures, for what that's worth. There is no brand name.
Would these be comparable to a Celestron or Meade of the same
model? As simple as the technology is in entry-level scopes, I am inclined
to think that a "brand name" in the store would just heap 200 dollars
to the price.
-Tom

Old July 20th 04, 06:58 AM
Paul Lawler

"Tom" wrote in message
There is a seller on ebay who has an abundance of 6 inch reflectors
on eq mounts. Most go for around 75 dollars. The quality looks
OK from the pictures, for what that's worth. There is no brand name.
Would these be comparable to a Celestron or Meade of the same
model? As simple as the technology is in entry-level scopes, I am

inclined
to think that a "brand name" in the store would just heap 200 dollars
to the price.
-Tom

No. These scopes have spherical mirrors and cheap eyepieces and are not even
close to comprable to even the cheapest Meade and Celestron models.

Old July 20th 04, 01:52 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Tom" wrote in message
There is a seller on ebay who has an abundance of 6 inch reflectors
on eq mounts. Most go for around 75 dollars. The quality looks
OK from the pictures, for what that's worth. There is no brand name.
Would these be comparable to a Celestron or Meade of the same
model? As simple as the technology is in entry-level scopes, I am

inclined
to think that a "brand name" in the store would just heap 200 dollars
to the price.

I think this needs to be added to the alt.astronomy FAQ if there is one. I
have never purchased a scope from ebay, but I seem to recall a few people
have tried both mirrors and scopes from ebay, and they got burned. There are
apparently some telescope scams on ebay, check it out
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=eb...ie=UTF-8&hl=en.

BV.

Old July 20th 04, 06:09 PM
Yoda

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message

There is a seller on ebay who has an abundance of 6 inch reflectors
on eq mounts. Most go for around 75 dollars. The quality looks
OK from the pictures, for what that's worth. There is no brand name.
Would these be comparable to a Celestron or Meade of the same
model? As simple as the technology is in entry-level scopes, I am

inclined

to think that a "brand name" in the store would just heap 200 dollars
to the price.

I think this needs to be added to the alt.astronomy FAQ if there is one. I
have never purchased a scope from ebay, but I seem to recall a few people
have tried both mirrors and scopes from ebay, and they got burned. There are
apparently some telescope scams on ebay, check it out
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=eb...ie=UTF-8&hl=en.

BV.

Maybe you should stick to your pond scum and leave the science of the
universe to the real men.

Old July 20th 04, 06:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Yoda" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
snip
I think this needs to be added to the alt.astronomy FAQ if there is one.

have never purchased a scope from ebay, but I seem to recall a few

people
have tried both mirrors and scopes from ebay, and they got burned. There

are
apparently some telescope scams on ebay, check it out
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=eb...ie=UTF-8&hl=en.

BV.

Maybe you should stick to your pond scum and leave the science of the
universe to the real men.

Aww come on Yoder. Up until now, you have been a mean-spirited semi-troll. I
say semi, because at least you were discussing nearly on topic. But when you
go and look for my posts on other groups and bring them back here, that is
just plain freshman style trolling. You are better then that.

BV.

Old July 20th 04, 06:43 PM
Yoda

You are dumb ass troll yourself. Scumbag can't debate or discuss issues
of astronomy with me online, so you resort to lies? Loser

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Yoda" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
snip