Is this an English language group?

Old July 19th 04, 04:35 AM
Alex Wilde

Default Is this an English language group?

A rhetorical question, of course.

However, the 'standard' of prose in this group leads one to think that
it is not populated by educated science types, but by illiterate idiots.

The whole purpose of ones communication is to try to instil in others
what one thinks and / or believes. If your grammar and / or punctuation
is so bad that the reader can't understand your point, what's the point?

I understand that not every bodies mother tongue is English, and I would
be the first to applaud anyone who posts in a language which is alien to
them. My problem stems from the fact that some people here express their
opinion, as fact, in an awfully bad manner yet seem to have English as a
first language. (One can usually tell if the latter isn't the case)

This is all fine and well, and who am I, you may ask, to pose such
questions, but my point is, I stop reading and / or concentrating on
/your/ point if your writing makes for difficult understanding due to
unreadability. Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Thought not.

I know I have put myself up to be shot at with this post, and it isn't
intended to 'troll', but whatever you think, I know you can easily
understand, if not agree with, my point of view, as the expression of my
thoughts is paramount in my writing, rather than a mental rambling, as
often seems the case.
--
Alex Wilde
Motor Sport Photography -

Old July 19th 04, 08:13 AM
Odysseus

Alex Wilde wrote:

A rhetorical question, of course.

However, the 'standard' of prose in this group leads one to think that
it is not populated by educated science types, but by illiterate idiots.

Filters, AKA "killfiles", are a good way to keep track of which
posters are which, once you've identified them -- assuming your
newsreader has some capabilities in this regard. This old version of
Netscape's are minimal, but suffice to keep the signal-to-noise ratio tolerable.

The whole purpose of ones communication is to try to instil in others
what one thinks and / or believes. If your grammar and / or punctuation
is so bad that the reader can't understand your point, what's the point?

Some of those whose writing is poor at least seem to be making an
effort; others just don't appear to have any consideration for their
prospective readers.

--
Odysseus

Old July 20th 04, 04:21 AM
Info Plumber

Sorry, I can't resist ...

"Alex Wilde" wrote in message ...

This is a (A) rhetorical question, of course(.);

(H) however, the 'standard' of prose in this group leads one to think that
it is not populated by educated science types, but by illiterate idiots.

The whole purpose of one's communication is to try to instill in others
what one thinks and / or believes. If your grammar and / or punctuation
is so bad that the reader can't understand your point, what's the point?

I understand that not every bod(ie)y's mother tongue is English, and I would
be the first to applaud anyone who posts in a language (which) that is alien to
(them) him or her. My problem stems from the fact that some people here
express their opinion, as fact, in an awfully bad manner yet seem to have English as a first language. (One can usually tell if the latter isn't the case)

This is all fine and well, and who am I, you may ask, to pose such
questions, but my point is, I stop reading and / or concentrating on
/your/ point if your writing makes for difficult understanding due to
(unreadability) illegibility. Is this what you are trying to achieve?

I (T)thought not.

I know I have put myself up to be shot at with this post, and it isn't
intended to 'troll', but whatever you think, I know you can easily
understand, if not agree with, my point of view, as the expression of my
thoughts is paramount in my writing, rather than a mental rambling, as
often seems the case.
--
Alex Wilde
Motor Sport Photography -
http://www.cizeta.demon.co.uk

Indeed!

IP

Old July 20th 04, 11:01 PM
Alex Wilde

In message , Info
Plumber writes
Sorry, I can't resist ...
*

Corrections snipped

Very good! I knew however hard I tried, I'd cock it up.

You /did/ get my point though, I take it, which was /the/ point, if you
see what I mean.

Indeed!
*
IP