What do you get out of astronomy?

Old July 20th 04, 06:32 AM
Tom

"Info Plumber" wrote in message
I am late to this thread, so forgive me if I repeat ... there is no

denying
that the stunning Hubble photographs available in any issue of Astronomy

or
Sky & Telescope blows away anything that I will ever see in my puny little

5
inch reflector, but no photograph will every replace the wonder that I

feel
when I find, see and recognize an object with my own little telescope that

know is millions of light years distant, and then as I am pondering the
immensity of the gulf that separates me from that distant nebula, the
reflection of a man-made satellite streaks through my field of view,

I had to cut that sentence short:-) You really see satellites pass through
your view? I'm new to this, but what are the odds of that happening?
Tom

Old July 20th 04, 11:33 PM
Walter Watson

"Info Plumber" wrote in message
I am late to this thread, so forgive me if I repeat ... there is no

denying
that the stunning Hubble photographs available in any issue of Astronomy

or
Sky & Telescope blows away anything that I will ever see in my puny little

5
inch reflector, but no photograph will every replace the wonder that I

feel
when I find, see and recognize an object with my own little telescope that

know is millions of light years distant, and then as I am pondering the
immensity of the gulf that separates me from that distant nebula, the
reflection of a man-made satellite streaks through my field of view,

holding
out the possibility that some day, one of my distant ancestors may visit a
planet circling a star in one of the outer arms of that spiral galaxy.

Or while I was trying to tease out a decent view of the Cassini division

in
April, my mind reeled at the knowledge that the human race will soon be
sending an artificial probe (Cassini) hurtling through that gap ...

It gives me goose-bumps ...

:-)

I haven't bought a telescope yet but am following the conventional wisdom
and looking at Dobs. The Hardon Deep Space Hunter 8" is on sale until the
end of the month for $299, which many reckon is a good deal. However...

I went out on my patio last night at about 1am. It was a clear night but I
could see only 1 star in the eastern half of the sky. This is mainly due to
glow from lights. I don't like in the middle of a city, but there seems to
be enough lights arounds to spoil the view. I knew the view wasn't great but
I didn't realise just how bad it was. Given that viewing the sky from home
isn't going to be a good option for me, I don't fancy lugging a big Dob
around. Maybe it's time to attend a star party.

Old July 21st 04, 08:30 PM
EvolBob

I also have wondered what the future may bring.
I don't believe we are going to be flying around in anything like Star Trek (sorry trekies), as the light speed barrier (LSB) and
just plain space stuff (radiation, dust to large dark planets) will be obstacles to difficult to overcome.
Also the expense and very long time for any return on investment will mean we are going to be flittering around the good Ole Solar
System for some time yet. And Interstellar travel will done very differently to what we had previously imagined.

Three lines of science research show incredible potential for development:
1 Faster more complex computers
2 Genetic engineering
3 Nano technology

Several thousand years from now a new form of life must be in existence. It will appear human on the surface, but underneath there
will be a single organism. I would call this a supercell creature. It has all the latest possible genetic code and is able to
withstand extremes of cold and heat far above any human, and has an IQ that we could not measure. It could possess all of human
knowledge and all of recorded history. It wouldn't be affected by any poison or virus.

The new human could also change shape and mimic any other form of life.
Nothing I've said here should be surprising or bring calls of to far fetched, because we have imbued most alien life with these same
attributes in SF literature.

Such a person will have an almost indefinite lifespan and a variable time-sense.
In combination with vastly improved Nano bites (tiny super-intelligent programmable life forms), we may yet be able to explore the
Universe.
Imagine a device like a torpedo. It is shot towards the sun and picks up speed as the gravity increases. Hydrogen bombs help it on
its way as it accelerates at over 100g per sec. The suns gravity helps with this and the devices slips just pass and with a few
more explosions is travelling at near 80% LS on its way to a similar sun like star about 20 lights years distant.

No one is on board. Instead the Nano bites have all the information and the knowledge to create the tools to create the tools to
create the tools they need to do what they need to do when they get to their destination.
When they get there they see a planet full of life, but none are apparently intelligent forms. The planet is similar to how Earth
was 10 million years ago. The potential in some primate life there does show some promise for further development. A female is
selected.
With the proper genetic code in place and the Nano bites within doing there work the baby produced is very similar to a Super-Cell
human. With his/her help the rest of the work can be done in the proceeding 100 - 200 years.

The space ship is rebuilt and launched to another star.
A large communication array is also built and the progress reported back to Earth.
Several large monitoring stations through out the new planet are made to keep watch on the evolution of the primates there. The
Nano bites and the newly created human, DO NOT INTERFERE.

Repeat this process indefinitely!

Regards
Robert

"Info Plumber" wrote in message ...
I am late to this thread, so forgive me if I repeat ... there is no denying
that the stunning Hubble photographs available in any issue of Astronomy or
Sky & Telescope blows away anything that I will ever see in my puny little 5
inch reflector, but no photograph will every replace the wonder that I feel
when I find, see and recognize an object with my own little telescope that I
know is millions of light years distant, and then as I am pondering the
immensity of the gulf that separates me from that distant nebula, the
reflection of a man-made satellite streaks through my field of view, holding
out the possibility that some day, one of my distant ancestors may visit a
planet circling a star in one of the outer arms of that spiral galaxy.

Or while I was trying to tease out a decent view of the Cassini division in
April, my mind reeled at the knowledge that the human race will soon be
sending an artificial probe (Cassini) hurtling through that gap ...

It gives me goose-bumps ...

IP

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
"starlord" wrote in message
My last post to this. As a Sidewalk Astronomer I get people who have

never
looked at a Star, a Planet, or even our Moon via a Telescope. I give

them
the chance to do so and the "WOW" factor is my reward. I have many

people
who come back every now and then to see what I'm giving views of. Not

only
do they like the views, many have NO INTERNET, so they've not seen what

us
that do can see.

As for my other hobbys, I wish I could push my truck to 200mph without
blowing the engine, there's more people watching NASCAR races than there

are
football games.

I've been flying model rockets since the mid 60's, and I do mostly my

own
designs and I may fly not only normal rockets, but boost gliders, rocket
gliders, scales of big rockets, as the Leader of the SIAR I am very

active
in the Model Rocketry world. ( www.starlords.org ).

Cats are wonderfull pets and as I am a Japanese Bobtail breeder, I've

been
very active in the cat show world in the past, and I've liked cats all

my
life. I am now the 2nd oldest active JBT cattery in the World. Akumaizer
Cattery since 1974.

The TBFAQ has been a big help to many a new people and I post it to

anyone
who's looking for advice on telescope.

And if your a TROLL, you'll not last long here.

TROLL = PONK

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You siund like a busy guy!

---

Old July 21st 04, 11:48 PM
Info Plumber

Tom,

There is not a shred of doubt about it, if you observe even occasionally
with magnification, you WILL see satellites passing through your field of
view. I have been observing with binoculars for over 2 years now and with a
5 inch newtonian reflector since Dec 2003. I have logged about 30 hours of
actual observing time since December and I would estimate that I have seen
50 or more satellites during that time. When you consider how many man-made
objects are in orbit, it would be amazing if you didn't see any. One thing
to remember, you won't see very many after midnight, because by that time
anything near the zenith will be well into Earth's shadow (especially low
orbits).

Here is an exerpt from http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010116.html

"Another result pointed us to The Satellite Situation Report from NASA's
Goddard Space Flight Center. Dated September, 1997, the report counts almost
25,000 man-made objects: 8681 currently in orbit, and over 16,000 objects in
a state of decay. Not every single satellite is included, since some are too
small or too far away from home to be detected."

IP

Old July 21st 04, 11:50 PM
Info Plumber

sounds like you have a major case of LP in your back yard. I would
definitely seek expert advice from members of your local astonomy club
before spending a lot of money on a telescope.

Old July 21st 04, 11:56 PM
Info Plumber

wow! That's quite an imagination you've got there Bob!

Too bad your premise is based largely on the concept of the disproven theory
of evolution, otherwise it might make an interesting story.

IP

Old July 22nd 04, 12:13 AM
Paul Lawler

"Tom" wrote in message

[...]

The odds are so good of this happening that I can't recall an observing
session n the past year or so when I _haven't_ seen satellites pass through
my eyepiece view.