What do you get out of astronomy?

Old July 19th 04, 12:39 AM
starlord

That's because the TELESCOPE BUYERS FAQ is NOT just about Astronomy, it's a
guild to those who want to buy a TELESCOPE to take part in astronomy. It's
NOT a FAQ for or about the Newsgroup.

I'll ask YOU a question ... Why NOT Astronomy?

I enjoy many things in life, NASCAR, Model Rocketry, Cat Breeding,
Astronomy, Photography, Model Building, Gardening, and even a little bit of
Sci-Fi writing.

You stated that with the internet and hubble that Am.Astronomy was a dead in
the water field, and as I plainly pointed out that is far from being true.
In fact, I'd say it's more like a good Go Fast boat and it's running at full
speed ahead.

Clouds to the Right ... City Lights to the Left ... Dammed the minds, full
speed ahead!

The Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond, the Telescope in the Desert.

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
"starlord" wrote in message
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Your FAQ does not have the answer to every question ever asked about
astronomy... including mine. I actually read it, top to bottom, a couple

of
weeks ago. I thought it was good and I appreciate the (mostly) individual
effort you put into creating it. However, it is not as good as I would
expect an alt.astronomy group FAQ to be. Surely the very first question
should be "Why astronomy?", which was my question and one you have not
addressed.

---

Old July 19th 04, 01:31 AM
Walter Watson

"starlord" wrote in message
That's because the TELESCOPE BUYERS FAQ is NOT just about Astronomy, it's

guild to those who want to buy a TELESCOPE to take part in astronomy. It's
NOT a FAQ for or about the Newsgroup.

Then why did you post it as a reply to my question... and as a reply to
almost every question that beginners ask here?

I'll ask YOU a question ... Why NOT Astronomy?

I don't know. That's why I am here asking my question.

I enjoy many things in life, NASCAR,

Cars going around in a circle at a constant speed

Model Rocketry,

Items going up, stopping, and then coming back down.

Cat Breeding

God, I hate cats!

Astronomy,

Still not sure what this is about

Photography,

I like photography - I'm with you here.

Model Building,

A nice past time - I'm with you here.

Gardening,

Very rewarding - I'm with you here.

and even a little bit of Sci-Fi writing.

with the "Telescope Buyers FAQ" being your first novella? ;-)

You stated that with the internet and hubble that Am.Astronomy was a dead

in
the water field, and as I plainly pointed out that is far from being true.
In fact, I'd say it's more like a good Go Fast boat and it's running at

full
speed ahead.

Clouds to the Right ... City Lights to the Left ... Dammed the minds, full
speed ahead!

You've totally lost me here.

Hmmm! Maybe I am a troll.

Old July 19th 04, 02:57 AM
Tom

"starlord" wrote in message
That's because the TELESCOPE BUYERS FAQ is NOT just about Astronomy,

it's
guild to those who want to buy a TELESCOPE to take part in astronomy.

It's
NOT a FAQ for or about the Newsgroup.

Then why did you post it as a reply to my question... and as a reply to
almost every question that beginners ask here?

I'll ask YOU a question ... Why NOT Astronomy?

I don't know. That's why I am here asking my question.

A guy once asked me, "what is the point of smoking cigars and pipes if
you don't inhale?". You are beginning to sound like that guy.
-Tom

Old July 19th 04, 03:03 AM
Walter Watson

"starlord" wrote in message
That's because the TELESCOPE BUYERS FAQ is NOT just about Astronomy,

it's
guild to those who want to buy a TELESCOPE to take part in astronomy.

It's
NOT a FAQ for or about the Newsgroup.

Then why did you post it as a reply to my question... and as a reply to
almost every question that beginners ask here?

I'll ask YOU a question ... Why NOT Astronomy?

I don't know. That's why I am here asking my question.

A guy once asked me, "what is the point of smoking cigars and pipes if
you don't inhale?". You are beginning to sound like that guy.

Actually I know the answer to that one. It's because you absorb nictone
through the inside surface of your mouth, rather than thru your lungs as
with a cigarette. The key here is that although it doesn't look like you get
much out of it, actually you do. I didn't know that until it was explained
to me, so I know understand, at least in part, why people smoke cigars.
However, I'm still wondering why people peer through hobby telescopes at the
sky.

Old July 19th 04, 03:40 AM
Paul Lawler

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
news
However, I'm still wondering why people peer through hobby telescopes at

the
sky.

There are lots of "observing" hobbies. Why do people visit civil war
battlefields? Certainly not because they are planning future civil wars, but
rather to observe and learn.

I think you were on the right track with the birds. Why do bird watchers
watch birds. Obviously their chances of discovering a new species are very
low. Most of them do not imagine they are contributing significantly to
scientific research. They just enjoy doing it. Of course they can look at
pictures of birds in print, but it's somehow just not the same.

Why do I hunt down faint planetary nebulae and galaxies. For the challenge.
Can I find it? How does it look? Does it have color? Can I see structure in
it? Can I find it again next time? Are there others like it? Can I find
them? Also one rapidly discovers that the more one looks, the more one
sharpens his/her observational skills. An experienced observer can see far
more at the eyepiece than a "newbie."

Do I think I'm likely to find something at the eyepiece that no one else has
seen before? No. Do I think I am contributing to science in some meaningful
way, or that such contribution is necessary on my part? No. But I do think
about my/our place in the universe, and whether or not there is a grand
scheme of things. It's relaxing and peaceful... and I don't have to mess
about with slimy worms and hooks.

Old July 19th 04, 03:48 AM
starlord

My last post to this. As a Sidewalk Astronomer I get people who have never
looked at a Star, a Planet, or even our Moon via a Telescope. I give them
the chance to do so and the "WOW" factor is my reward. I have many people
who come back every now and then to see what I'm giving views of. Not only
do they like the views, many have NO INTERNET, so they've not seen what us
that do can see.

As for my other hobbys, I wish I could push my truck to 200mph without
blowing the engine, there's more people watching NASCAR races than there are
football games.

I've been flying model rockets since the mid 60's, and I do mostly my own
designs and I may fly not only normal rockets, but boost gliders, rocket
gliders, scales of big rockets, as the Leader of the SIAR I am very active
in the Model Rocketry world. ( www.starlords.org ).

Cats are wonderfull pets and as I am a Japanese Bobtail breeder, I've been
very active in the cat show world in the past, and I've liked cats all my
life. I am now the 2nd oldest active JBT cattery in the World. Akumaizer
Cattery since 1974.

The TBFAQ has been a big help to many a new people and I post it to anyone
who's looking for advice on telescope.

And if your a TROLL, you'll not last long here.

TROLL = PONK

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
news I'm still wondering why people peer through hobby telescopes at the sky.

---