What do you get out of astronomy?

Old July 18th 04, 05:11 AM
Walter Watson

Default What do you get out of astronomy?

I've been interested in physics and astronomy for as long as I can remember,
and indeed once got a degree in physics, but ended up going into software
development. I'm now tempted to buy a telescope to have a closer look at
what's up there. The thing I'm wondering is, in these days of the Hubble and
the Internet, is an amateur going to see anything that can't be better
viewed in the Nasa website photo gallery? Hasn't amateur astronomy become
like ham radio - essentially obsolete?

I'm probably missing the point here, but what exactly do you guys get out of
looking through a telescope? Is it comparable to bird watching? You're
probably not going to see a new species of bird, but because you see it in
real life, it's somehow a thrill? I have a feeling that whatever I would see
through a telescope would never be enough. I would get frustrated with the
limitations of using a small instrument in variable atmospheric conditions.
Apart from the local planets, everything else is just a point of light. How
interesting is that?

I know I sound like a troll, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing what
you guys get out of the hobby.

Old July 18th 04, 08:28 AM
Painius

"Walter Watson" wrote...
in message ...

[...]

It's a great way to meet girls!

happy days and
starry starry nights

--
A secret of the Universe,
So please don't breathe a word of this,

Paine Ellsworth

Old July 18th 04, 09:52 AM
dude

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
I've been interested in physics and astronomy for as long as I can

remember,
and indeed once got a degree in physics, but ended up going into software
development. I'm now tempted to buy a telescope to have a closer look at
what's up there. The thing I'm wondering is, in these days of the Hubble

and
the Internet, is an amateur going to see anything that can't be better
viewed in the Nasa website photo gallery? Hasn't amateur astronomy become
like ham radio - essentially obsolete?

Hey HAM radio is not obsolete!!! Not only is it fun and teaches you a lot
about electronics and RF theory but during the 9/11 Trade Center attacks HAM
radio was one of the only communications that worked....

Anyway....

I'm probably missing the point here, but what exactly do you guys get out

of
looking through a telescope? Is it comparable to bird watching? You're
probably not going to see a new species of bird, but because you see it in
real life, it's somehow a thrill? I have a feeling that whatever I would

see
through a telescope would never be enough. I would get frustrated with the
limitations of using a small instrument in variable atmospheric

conditions.
Apart from the local planets, everything else is just a point of light.

How
interesting is that?

I like armature astronomy because you are looking at the images in analog.
You are alone seeing the REAL images... It is awesome. I only have a 70mm
refractor but looking into deep space or Jupiter, even though it isn't very
powerful, still gives you a feeling of excitement....

Using it to see small points of light is cool because you see so many more
than with the naked eye. Plus you can see comets, nebulae, galaxies..... It
is just cool...........

Hubble images are digital and not as exciting as the real thing, at least
not IMHO.

Old July 18th 04, 10:30 AM
md

"Walter Watson" wrote in message
I've been interested in physics and astronomy for as long as I can remember,
and indeed once got a degree in physics, but ended up going into software
development.

sounds familiar

I'm now tempted to buy a telescope to have a closer look at
what's up there. The thing I'm wondering is, in these days of the Hubble and
the Internet, is an amateur going to see anything that can't be better
viewed in the Nasa website photo gallery? Hasn't amateur astronomy become
like ham radio - essentially obsolete?

quite the opposite. Amateurs today have access to very advanced equipment, especially since CCD
cameras have become cheap. Linking to other amateurs through the internet opened even more
possibilities.
I think Timothy Ferris describes the current state of amateur astronomy very well in his book
"Seeing in the dark", chapter 4.

I'm probably missing the point here, but what exactly do you guys get out of
looking through a telescope? Is it comparable to bird watching? You're
probably not going to see a new species of bird, but because you see it in
real life, it's somehow a thrill? I have a feeling that whatever I would see
through a telescope would never be enough. I would get frustrated with the
limitations of using a small instrument in variable atmospheric conditions.
Apart from the local planets, everything else is just a point of light. How
interesting is that?

true, you need a good telescope and mount, but any scope can be satisfying when studying the
right targets.

My 4" mak is too small to do DSO work (although some brighter nebulas show very nice, M27,M57,
M42 etc), but I primarily look at planets, sun, moon, and variable stars, and portability was a
big issue for me. Seeing the universe inreal life is a thrill, studying variable stars can be
called science.

Old July 18th 04, 11:40 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Walter I added a room on to my house,and made the roof extra strong so
that I could put a telescope on it,and have a few people look through
it. I live in Florida,and the night sky is rather hazy(not good) Saturn
to me is the most interesting object. I can see the mountains on the
moon with my binoculars. I have given up the idea of buying a
telescope. I like looking at books that have the great pictures taken by
the Hubble.My favorite picture was taken by the astronauts on the
moon,its the picture of the Earth just over the moon's horizon. Bert
PS I read the worlds largest binocular telescope is being built in
Arizona. Would like to know more on that.

Old July 18th 04, 11:57 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:11:57 -0400, Walter Watson wrote:

I've been interested in physics and astronomy for as long as I can remember,
and indeed once got a degree in physics, but ended up going into software
development. I'm now tempted to buy a telescope to have a closer look at
what's up there. The thing I'm wondering is, in these days of the Hubble and
the Internet, is an amateur going to see anything that can't be better
viewed in the Nasa website photo gallery? Hasn't amateur astronomy become
like ham radio - essentially obsolete?

Ham radio is not and will never be obsolete.

The difference between looking at Hubble/observatory photos and looking
through a telescope is when you look through a telescope you are seeing
the object live with your very own eyes. PHotos are nice but seeing things
live are better.

I'm probably missing the point here, but what exactly do you guys get out of
looking through a telescope? Is it comparable to bird watching? You're
probably not going to see a new species of bird, but because you see it in
real life, it's somehow a thrill? I have a feeling that whatever I would see
through a telescope would never be enough. I would get frustrated with the
limitations of using a small instrument in variable atmospheric conditions.
Apart from the local planets, everything else is just a point of light. How
interesting is that?

Seeing something in person is better than seeing it on paper or in
film/movies. There are many other things up there besides planets that
show more than a point of light like stars do. Nebula, galaxies,
comets, star clusters.

It's o.k. if you don't get it, I think bowling and golf are 2 of the
most stupid "sports" around but some people love those games.

What I get out of astronomy is wonder,amazement and awe. It never gets
old to me. There is ALWAYS something new being learned and seen, it's
always exciting!

Astronomy rules!

Tom