Surprise! Dr. John Bell Liked the Ether!

Old June 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Sam Wormley

Sam Wormley wrote:

FrediFizzx wrote:

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
| John Bell liking aether doesn't make it so....
| Einstein liking actualities doesn't make them so...

Read Volovik's "The Universe in a Helium Droplet". You might learn
something. Especially read the Forward by Bjorken.

FrediFizzx

Interesting

"The book spends 25% of its space for bosonic fluids and
75% for fermionic ones. It is assumed that the reader
is a *master* of both classical and quantum field theory.
But if he[/she] is[,] the book is enjoyable".
Old June 29th 04, 09:29 PM
Bill Sheppard

Our venerable Uncle Albert liked the 'ether' too, as evidenced in his
famous 1920 speech at the University of Leyden. See-
www.mountainman.com.au/aether_0.html

Note the last paragraph where he states that according to GR space
without 'ether' is unthinkable. But then he stipulates quite arbitrarily
that motion cannot be ascribed to it. In other words, it must be a rigid
lattice incapable of flowing. Talk about legislation by fiat (!).
That seems to be the point at which physics ran off the
rails. Instead of allowing the ether model to evolve further to reveal
flowing-space, it was headed for the scrap heap in favor of void-space.
Though Uncle A still endorsed the ether as late as 1922, its demise was
already determined and its epitah carved in its headstone.
So the question remains, if the MM null result of 1887
influenced him to do the famous (infamous?) flip-flop, why did he wait
over 30 years to do it? oc

Old June 29th 04, 09:37 PM
Greysky

"Uncle Al" wrote in message
Greysky wrote:

During a radio interview on BBC Radio 3 in the mid 1980s',

My watch says "2004."

Wow! Unc. knows how to tell time. Einstein died in 1955... Time is
irrelevant. If this is the best oneliner you can attempt, go back to making
your diamonds.

[snip]

Learn how to build a FTL radio.

Idiot.

Cipher.

Greysky

www.allocations.cc
Learn how to build a FTL radio (instead of shooting your mouth off).

Old June 29th 04, 09:50 PM

In sci.physics Greysky wrote:

snip

Greysky

www.allocations.cc
Learn how to build a FTL radio.

Where may we view your Nobel in awe?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old June 29th 04, 09:50 PM

Old June 29th 04, 10:08 PM
Greysky

wrote in message
In sci.physics Greysky wrote:

snip

Greysky

www.allocations.cc
Learn how to build a FTL radio.

Where may we view your Nobel in awe?

I don't expect to ever get a Nobel. Over the decades, I have made *far* to
many enemies for that to happen. You may build a FTL transmitter with the
info on my site, however. Maybe you could mention me when you get *your*
Nobel...

Greysky

Old June 29th 04, 10:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Sam I don't think Einstien or Bohr have the right to tell God what to
do. It God throw dice the religious right will tell you it would always
come up 7 If I said God could only roll snake eyes I would be burned at
the stake. Gravity is my God,and it takes chaos,and evolves it into a
universe. Bert