NASA artist illustrations and cutaways of Saturn vehicles

Old August 23rd 03, 09:59 AM
Rusty Barton

Default NASA artist illustrations and cutaways of Saturn vehicles

I was searching on NASA picture websites and I found
these interesting NASA artist illustration slides of
Saturn and Apollo hardware. Many of them are cutaway
drawings.

Some of these I had not seen before. I thought people
might find them interesting.

Most of these are available in thumbnail, medium and
large sizes (100x100, 640x480 & 1140x900).

Saturn-Nova Comparison - 1962
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9902050.html

Module Nova Concept - 1961
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9902051.html

Module Nova Concept - 1961
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801755.html

Nova Launch Vehicle - 1961
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801756.html

Saturn Launch Vehicles Chart - 1960's
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801767.html

Saturn Engines Comparison Chart - 1963
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9903406.html

Saturn I Launch Vehicle Characteristics Cutaway
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100529.html

Cutaway of Saturn I S-I Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801761.html

Cutaway of Saturn I S-IV Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801758.html

Pegasus
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801797.html

Saturn I Launch Vehicle Cutaway
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100530.html

Saturn 1 Launch Summary - 1970's?
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100531.html

RL-10 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801769.html

H-1 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100532.html

H-1 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100533.html

H-1 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801768.html

J-2 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801770.html

J-2 Engine Fact Sheet
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9264930.html

F-1 Engine
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801771.html

F-1 Engine Fact Sheet
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9264931.html

Saturn IB Launch Vehicle Cutaway
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-6868469.html

Saturn IB Launch Vehicle - Cutaway - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100800.html

Saturn IB Launch Vehicle Characteristics - Metric - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100801.html

Saturn IB Launch Vehicle - Characteristics and Missions - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100802.html

Saturn IB Vehicle Configurations - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100803.html

Saturn IB Second Stage (S-IVB Stage) - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100805.html

Saturn IB/V Instrument Unit (IU) Configuration
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100806.html

Saturn IB Launch Summary - 1973
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100804.html

Saturn V Launch Vehicle Configuration - 1965
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-6520298.html

Saturn V Vehicle Configuration - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0102553.html

Artist concept of Saturn V and Saturn I Apollo vehicles - 1967
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S67-28065

Saturn V Typical Mission Profile - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9903826.html

Illustration of Saturn V Launch Vehicle - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100979.html

Saturn V Launch Vehicle Configuration - March 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9253429.html

Diagram of the Saturn V Launch Vehicle in Metric - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9903403.html

Diagram of Saturn V Launch Vehicle - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100980.html

Saturn V S-IC (First) Stage - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100981.html

Saturn V S-IC (First) Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100982.html

Saturn V S-IC (First) Stage - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9903033.html

Saturn V S-II (Second) Stage - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801810.html

Saturn V S-IVB (Third) Stage - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100983.html

Saturn V Instrument Unit (IU) - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100984.html

Saturn V Apollo Spacecraft
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100985.html

Cutaway Illustration of the Apollo Spacecraft - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101140.html

Cutaway Illustration of the Command Module - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101138.html

Cutaway Illustration of the Service Module - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101139.html

Lunar Module Illustration - 1969
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101206.html

Lunar Module Illustration - 1967
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101207.html

Saturn Missions and Configurations Chart - 1975
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801782.html

Skylab Illustration - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101536.html

Skylab Components in Launch Configuration
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801796.html

Skylab Shroud Separation - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101587.html

Cutaway View of Skylab Orbital Workshop - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101589.html

Cutaway View of the Skylab Orbital Workshop - 1973
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101590.html

Skylab Orbiter Workshop Illustration - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101588.html

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab 1 Orbital
Workshop - 1973
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S73-24315

http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S73-23918

http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S73-23919

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab 1 Orbital
Workshop - 1973
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S73-24316

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab 1 Orbital
Workshop - 1971
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S71-55995

The Skylab Airlock Module - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801812.html

The Skylab Airlock Module Cutaway - 1968
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801813.html

The Skylab Airlock Module - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101643.html

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab Airlock Module -
1971
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S71-55994

Apollo Telescope Mount Illustration - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101321.html

Apollo Telescope Mount Illustration - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101322.html

Apollo Telescope Mount Illustration - 1971
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101323.html

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab Apollo Telescope
Mount - 1971
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S71-55997

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Apollo Telescope Mount -
1970
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S70-00475

Multiple Docking Adapter Illustration - 1972
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101324.html

Internal Arrangement of the Multiple Docking
Adapter Illustration - 1970
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101325.html

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab multiple docking
adapter - 1971
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S71-55996

Artist's concept illustrating cutaway view of Skylab Rescue Command
Module - 1973
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S73-31922

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project Configuration
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101489.html

Space Vehicles for the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101490.html

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101491.html

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101492.html

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0101493.html

Artist's concept of docked Apollo/Soyuz spacecraft - 1975
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb...toId=S75-27290

Apollo Soyuz
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-73A-S1905B.html

--
Rusty Barton - Antelope, California |"I'm moving to Mars next week,
E-mail - | so if you have any boxes...."
Old August 23rd 03, 10:51 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
Cutaway of Saturn I S-IV Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801758.html

..."Blowout Panels (8)"?? Were these part of the actual design in the
end?

Hmm, interesting question. That suggests that they planned "fire in the
hole" staging for the Saturn I -- ignition before separation. But
technical details on the Saturn I are a bit hard to find, and I don't
know offhand just how its staging was done.

http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100805.html

...Interesting how they illustrate the interstage skirt as part of the
S-IVB and not the IB first stage.

That was standard for the Saturns -- the interstages were built as part of
the stage above, not the stage below, although they mostly remained with
the stage below after separation.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old August 24th 03, 06:24 AM
ed kyle

(Henry Spencer) wrote in message ...
In article ,
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
Cutaway of Saturn I S-IV Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801758.html

..."Blowout Panels (8)"?? Were these part of the actual design in the
end?

Hmm, interesting question. That suggests that they planned "fire in the
hole" staging for the Saturn I -- ignition before separation. But
technical details on the Saturn I are a bit hard to find, and I don't
know offhand just how its staging was done.

According "MARSHALL SPACE FLIGHT CENTER MPR-SAT-FE-64-18,
"RESULTS OF THE SIXTH SATURN I LAUNCH VEHICLE TEST FLIGHT
(SA-6)", the Saturn I first/second stage separation involved
ullage rockets igniting on the S-IV stage, followed by stage
separation about 0.18 second later. At stage separation,
retro-rockets on the S-I stage fired upward. The S-IV engines
ignited about 1.63 seconds after stage separation. The S-IV
ullage rockets were jettisoned about 10 seconds after staging.

And yes, the blowout panels (there were 8 of them) were used
in the Saturn I, Block II vehicles. Keep searching for "S-IV"
stage on NIX and you should find some good photos of this
hardware. The interstage blow ports came into play a bit more
than 8 seconds before stage separation, when the S-IV LOX
Prestart event occured. At this time, the ports were blown
open, presumably to vent LOX gases. The S-IV LH2 prestart
(chilldown) occurred about 42 seconds before staging.

(I recall reading in another reference that Douglas had
struggled with chilldown hydrogen gas venting when developing
the S-IV stage. I think that hydrogen vent pipe "stacks" were
added for this purpose.)

- Ed Kyle
Old August 24th 03, 10:39 AM
OM

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:51:08 GMT, (Henry Spencer)

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
Cutaway of Saturn I S-IV Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801758.html

..."Blowout Panels (8)"?? Were these part of the actual design in the
end?

Hmm, interesting question. That suggests that they planned "fire in the
hole" staging for the Saturn I -- ignition before separation. But
technical details on the Saturn I are a bit hard to find, and I don't
know offhand just how its staging was done.

....From the footage I've seen of Saturn 1 staging, it appears to have
been the same as with the 1B. However, that's from the outside, and
I've yet to see camera footage of the S-IV igniting and shooting away
from the inside of the interstage. IIRC, *you* told me years ago it
existed :-)

....Still, the "fire in the hole" method may have been intended at the
start. What resources are out there that deal with "Cluster's Last
Stand" that go into detail?

http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100805.html

...Interesting how they illustrate the interstage skirt as part of the
S-IVB and not the IB first stage.

That was standard for the Saturns -- the interstages were built as part of
the stage above, not the stage below, although they mostly remained with
the stage below after separation.

....Or separated shortly after from the stage above, as we tend to get
reminded from that footage ad nauseum :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr