sci.space.news junk

Old February 13th 06, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default sci.space.news junk

Anyone know how several spam messages have infiltrated this moderated group
in recent days? I've seen three on my text only server since the start of
the weekend.

Brian

Email:

Old February 13th 06, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Brian Gaff wrote:
Anyone know how several spam messages have infiltrated this moderated group
in recent days? I've seen three on my text only server since the start of
the weekend.

only 3? Amazing, Brian, er...

/dps

Old February 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Yes, its the news group, not this one.

The use of text servers is under rated. Its great for just not seeing those
picture crap email thingies that get sent to newsgroups. Not that I'd be
able to see them anyway.

No, seriously, how can a moderated group such as sci.space.news get spam,
the whole point of moderation is supposed to keep those groups clean.

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

oups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 10:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, its the news group, not this one.

[...]

hence the "amazing" comment...it's been in the subject line over there.

No, seriously, how can a moderated group such as sci.space.news get spam,
the whole point of moderation is supposed to keep those groups clean.

Yes, that's one of the points, but forged approvals and/or other
security flaws get exploited from time to time.

/dps

Old February 21st 06, 06:57 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Anyone know how several spam messages have infiltrated this moderated
group in recent days? I've seen three on my text only server since the
start of the weekend.

Brian, Just a thought you should know,

RSS as you know it...

...."The shuttle vehicle has three RSSs. One is located in each SRB and one
in the external tank. Any one or all three are capable of receiving two
command messages (arm and fire) transmitted from the ground station. The RSS
is used only when the shuttle vehicle violates a launch trajectory red line.
An RSS consists of two antenna couplers, command receivers/ decoders, a dual
distributor, a safe and arm device with two NSDs, two confined detonating
fuse manifolds, seven CDF assemblies and one linear-shaped charge.

The antenna couplers provide the proper impedance for radio frequency and
ground support equipment commands. The command receivers are tuned to RSS
command frequencies and provide the input signal to the distributors when an
RSS command is sent. The command decoders use a code plug to prevent any
command signal other than the proper command signal from getting into the
distributors. The distributors contain the logic to supply valid destruct
commands to the RSS pyrotechnics...."

RSS is also the acronym of a family of web feed formats.

"...Web feeds in general allow Internet users to subscribe to websites;
these are typically sites that change or add content regularly. To use this
technology, site owners create or obtain specialized software (such as a
content management system) which, in the machine-readable XML format,
presents new articles in a list, giving a line or two of each article and a
link to the full article or post. Unlike subscriptions to many printed
newspapers and magazines, most RSS subscriptions are free."

I am not sure how it would work for you , but the news is always current, no
spam,

and more and more feeds daily.

I use FeedDeemon

http://www.bradsoft.com/feeddemon/

there are other readers, good luck

Junk Food Fix Double-A Misc 28 June 3rd 05 07:34 PM
Best way to remove junk from low Earth orbit Andrew Nowicki Policy 93 August 29th 04 05:17 PM
Approaching Asteroid May Be Leftover Apollo 'Space Junk' James Oberg Misc 14 March 22nd 04 07:19 PM
Approaching Asteroid May Be Leftover Apollo 'Space Junk' James Oberg History 10 March 22nd 04 07:19 PM
Konus is Junk! Tong Amateur Astronomy 0 December 20th 03 03:42 PM