Starloard

Old December 1st 05, 03:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Starloard

I noticed this in your FAQ. To whom does it refer? Just curious. Doink

(Let me state credentials. I am primarily a visual observer: Over 40 years I
have logged about 6000 observations of nearly 3000 objects, and used perhaps
thirty telescopes and binoculars enough to know them well. I have made
roughly ten optical surfaces to 16-inch diameter (a sphere -- my biggest
paraboloid was 8 inches). My forte is deep-sky work; observations I am proud
to include the Sculptor Dwarf Galaxy (10x70 binocular), Maffei I and Leo
II(Celestron 14), and S147 (6-inch Maksutov). My interests led to a physics
PhD, studying the interstellar medium from a spacecraft: By training I am an
astrophysicist, but I maintain amateur status in visual wavelengths -- my
thesis work was in extreme ultraviolet.)

Old December 1st 05, 04:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:
I noticed this in your FAQ. To whom does it refer? Just curious. Doink

(Let me state credentials. I am primarily a visual observer: Over 40 years I
have logged about 6000 observations of nearly 3000 objects, and used perhaps
thirty telescopes and binoculars enough to know them well. I have made
roughly ten optical surfaces to 16-inch diameter (a sphere -- my biggest
paraboloid was 8 inches). My forte is deep-sky work; observations I am proud
to include the Sculptor Dwarf Galaxy (10x70 binocular), Maffei I and Leo
II(Celestron 14), and S147 (6-inch Maksutov). My interests led to a physics
PhD, studying the interstellar medium from a spacecraft: By training I am an
astrophysicist, but I maintain amateur status in visual wavelengths -- my
thesis work was in extreme ultraviolet.)

Whose FAQ? Not "Starlord", but "Starloard"?

Old December 1st 05, 05:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

First of all, it is "Starlord", and 2nd, if that doink (who's post I never
see) would keep on reading downward, he'd see that section of the FAQ was
writen for me by one Jay Freeman.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Old December 1st 05, 09:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
First of all, it is "Starlord", and 2nd, if that doink (who's post I never
see) would keep on reading downward, he'd see that section of the FAQ was
writen for me by one Jay Freeman.

That explains it, Dennis.

Looks like we are in for some rain this weekend. I'll be out in Yucca
Valley camping with my Nexstar 8 GPS Fri-Sat nights and hope the skies
clear by Sat. Not really an astro trip, but a Sierra Club navigation
event (I teach and examine for proficiency in map-compass land
navigation, and we have five events a year in Joshua Tree plus two up
near Barton Flats in Big Bear area). Last event was at Indian Cove
right at the last full moon, so no scope taken. This weekend should be
much better, if clear skies.

BTW .. what scope are you using these days?

Phil (in LA South Bay area).
Old December 1st 05, 12:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Starlord" wrote in message ...
First of all, it is "Starlord", and 2nd, if that doink (who's post I never
see) would keep on reading downward, he'd see that section of the FAQ was
writen for me by one Jay Freeman.

To be fair to Doink a less ambiguous
text flow might go like this:

Recommendations for Beginning Amateur Astronomers
by -- Jay Freeman with the text following.

Also your use of double underlines adds to the
confusion. You end the Freeman article without the
double underline but precede and divide the article
with them.

--

Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old December 1st 05, 01:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:
Typo. Yes, Starlords FAQ. I just thought it odd because he prides himself
on his GED from the service years..

"Starlord's FAQ" surely?

(For those who pride themselves on their service to english) ;-)

Old December 1st 05, 02:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Chris.B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doink wrote:
Typo. Yes, Starlords FAQ. I just thought it odd because he prides
himself
on his GED from the service years..

"Starlord's FAQ" surely?

(For those who pride themselves on their service to english) ;-)

para
Do you mean English Chris ?
para
You'll have Mr.Caro after you ;-)
jc

Old December 1st 05, 02:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Oh I'm still using my home built ( With help from others ) Babylon 8 Dob (
F8 - 8inch ).

Still have my Stargazer Steve dob and make sure to use it at home at times.

Even my Binos get used, all 3 of them ( 10x25, 10x50, 20x80 ).

Old December 1st 05, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

While I have an Army GED, I have NEVER said I was the best in writting. In
all the years that I have had the
Telescope Buyers FAQ ( no I didn't start it, it was handed off to me when
the person who did start it didn't
want to do anything with it anymore ). If anyone can remember the first
verson of it knows, I baicly did a full
re-write of it and as I know I don't know everything about scopes, I did
call for help from users here on SAA.

What you now see is the results of that with a few things being added to it
over the years. As I didn't even know
a lot about html coding, I had help there too.

I know that many people see it, as it's on many web sites, many others have
linked to mine, and I try to updated it when I feel it needs it or when I