A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress -- Look for aurora

Old November 21st 03, 12:28 AM
Sam Wormley

Default A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress -- Look for aurora

Ref: http://spaceweather.com/

MAGNETIC STORM: A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress. It began at
approximately 0800 UT on Nov. 20th when a coronal mass ejection swept
past Earth. Auroras have been sighted as far south as Alabama and
Arizona in the United States and Greece in Europe.

See: http://spaceweather.com/

Monitor
http://www.edu-observatory.org/eo/aurora.html
Old November 21st 03, 01:16 AM
John Oliver

Sam Wormley wrote:
Ref: http://spaceweather.com/

MAGNETIC STORM: A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress. It began at
approximately 0800 UT on Nov. 20th when a coronal mass ejection swept
past Earth. Auroras have been sighted as far south as Alabama and
Arizona in the United States and Greece in Europe.

See: http://spaceweather.com/

Monitor
http://www.edu-observatory.org/eo/aurora.html

I can not see anything from my location in town but it looks as
though the Rosemary Hill ConCam is picking up aurora to the north at
lat 30N, lon 82.5E

http://concam.net/rh/
--
John Oliver
Associate Professor

Old November 21st 03, 01:18 AM
Mike Richmann

Sam Wormley wrote:

Ref: http://spaceweather.com/

MAGNETIC STORM: A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress. It began at
approximately 0800 UT on Nov. 20th when a coronal mass ejection swept
past Earth. Auroras have been sighted as far south as Alabama and
Arizona in the United States and Greece in Europe.

See: http://spaceweather.com/

Monitor
http://www.edu-observatory.org/eo/aurora.html

Sure is. We had a monster aurora about 3:50 am last night that spiked
at about 4:20 am. Bright greens, reds, towering shafts of light to
nearly 45 deg. off the northern horizon.

Quite a show...
---
Mike
http://www.concentric.net/~richmann/
Old November 21st 03, 01:24 AM
Alan French

"Mike Richmann" wrote in message

Sure is. We had a monster aurora about 3:50 am last night that spiked
at about 4:20 am. Bright greens, reds, towering shafts of light to
nearly 45 deg. off the northern horizon.

Quite a show...

Mike,

We got about 2" of rain last night.

Quite a shower...

Drat!

Actually, it has cleared off here (upstate NY). There might be a gentle
glow low in the N to NW, but that's it. Drat, again.

Clear skies, Alan

Old November 21st 03, 02:18 AM
John Oliver

I have placed a short movie of the start of the night ... aurora is
clearly visible tonight (compare with last night) in NNE.

http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~oliver/ConCamRH/aurora.htm

Click on image for movie

Old November 21st 03, 05:35 AM
Mike Richmann

Alan French wrote:

"Mike Richmann" wrote in message

Sure is. We had a monster aurora about 3:50 am last night that spiked
at about 4:20 am. Bright greens, reds, towering shafts of light to
nearly 45 deg. off the northern horizon.

Quite a show...

Mike,

We got about 2" of rain last night.

Quite a shower...

Drat!

Actually, it has cleared off here (upstate NY). There might be a gentle
glow low in the N to NW, but that's it. Drat, again.

Clear skies, Alan

If it's any consolation, we got completely boned that way on the big
Leonid shower max a few years back... 8^
---
http://www.concentric.net