Way OT - Jamestown's flood

Old July 25th 08, 10:38 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Way OT - Jamestown's flood

The rain came down, and our local newspaper decided that our moment of
glory had come, and sent things to You Tube.
Where I live - Jamestown, North Dakota.
15,000 maniacs in my tribe.
The most pathetic You Tube video ever made.
My home town during the big rainstorm on Wednesday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heV1H...eature=related
Yes, the rain was so severe that some cars got their tires wet.
If nothing else, that at least shows you that we have ancient
wooden-framed corrugated sheet-steel covered elevators right downtown.
That's the only one in the town that hasn't blown up in a grain dust
explosion and burned to the ground yet. There used to be around five of
those, but we lost one around every decade on average As a guesstimate,
I'd say that one was made somewhere around 1910 - 1920.
At least this is better, as our lads show that they'll drive through
anything.
After four-foot-deep snowdrifts, two-foot-deep water isn't even going to
slow them down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s__cfrx7_Q
"Yah, that was some rainstorm, wasn't it?"
"Yah, you betcha that was some rainstorm. I haven't seen one like that
for quite a few years."
"Do you think the bullheads will swim out of the river and come right
uptown?"
"They might... I think we should get our fishin' stuff out."
"Yah, them bullheads taste good, but its hard to get their gol-dang skin
off."
"You just use a lock-wrench on it... that will pull that skin off as
clean as you ever saw."
"Yah?
"Yah. My father taught me that...but back then they didn't have
lock-wrenches. He had to use pliers like they did back in the old country."
"The old country... like in Norway?"
"No, back in////// Ypsilanti. Before we came to the big city." :-D

Pat