Storing gas at high temperature for rocket propellant.

Old September 2nd 08, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.chem
hanson

Default Storing gas at high temperature for rocket propellant.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...bf5b1b19?hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...15174a1c?hl=en

Andro, shhhhh... sshhhhh...
you are ****ing in the snow.
You are blowing my cover...

Old September 2nd 08, 08:34 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.chem
Androcles[_8_]

"hanson" wrote in message
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...bf5b1b19?hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...15174a1c?hl=en

Andro, shhhhh... sshhhhh...
you are ****ing in the snow.
You are blowing my cover...

But I signed it "Jabberwock", so nobody knows who I am...
You don't think ics gives me away, do you?

Old September 2nd 08, 09:40 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.chem
hanson

shhhhh... sshhhhh...

Old September 3rd 08, 02:20 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics
[email protected]

On Sep 2, 1:20*pm, Robert Clark wrote:
On Sep 2, 11:34 am, wrote:

On Aug 30, 1:31 pm, Robert Clark wrote:

*We might be able to coat the carbon tanks with highly refractory
materials such as tantalum hafnium carbide which has a melting point
of 4500 K.

Another clueless idea again.

Refractory materials are brittle and can't handle loads

*Diamond is also refractory and brittle and can carry loads.

Not on the skin of a tank.

You must be very bad at your job as a mathematician because you suck
as an engineer.

Old September 3rd 08, 01:04 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics
Robert Clark

On Sep 2, 11:34 am, wrote:

On Aug 30, 1:31 pm, Robert Clark wrote:

*We might be able to coat the carbon tanks with highly refractory
materials such as tantalum hafnium carbide which has a melting point
of 4500 K.

Another clueless idea again.

Refractory materials are brittle and can't handle loads

*Diamond is also refractory and brittle and can carry loads.

Not on the skin of a tank.

You must be very bad at your job as a mathematician because you suck
as an engineer.

Diamond-like carbon, DLC harder than natural diamond.
"In short, diamond-like carbon (DLC) can coat things and make them
last forever.
DLC is harder than natural diamond and slicker than Teflon. That
combination gets more horsepower from engines, longer lifetimes from
mechanical parts that rotate and slide, survival of fragile optics in
hostile environments, and it saves lives by making better medical
options available."
http://www.diamondcoating.net/DLC_Applications.html

Bob Clark

Old September 3rd 08, 04:01 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics

On Sep 2, 11:34*am, wrote:

Another clueless idea again.

Refractory materials are brittle and can't handle loads

that's cause we're not very good at making them. each individual
crystal structure itself is certainly pretty strong.

hey, that reminds me, whatever happened to ceramic coated pistons and
valves and those high efficiency adiabatic car engines we were
supposed to have by now? they in some secret government warehouse with
the nuclear car, the personal jetpack, and the ark of the covenant?
Old September 3rd 08, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics
David Bostwick

In article , z wrote:
On Sep 2, 11:34=A0am, wrote:

Another clueless idea again.

Refractory materials are brittle and can't handle loads

that's cause we're not very good at making them. each individual
crystal structure itself is certainly pretty strong.

hey, that reminds me, whatever happened to ceramic coated pistons and
valves and those high efficiency adiabatic car engines we were
supposed to have by now? they in some secret government warehouse with
the nuclear car, the personal jetpack, and the ark of the covenant?

Well, some things have been released. Velcro, for example. The oil companies
are paying the government to keep the pistons and similar things a secret.

The sad part is that there are people who will read this and think I'm
serious.
Old September 3rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics
Robert Clark

On Sep 2, 11:34 am, wrote:
[...]

I don't know about these "diamond like carbon" coatings, but actual
diamond films are used as coatings for wear resistance despite
diamond's brittleness:

Developments in diamond coatings allow tools to work harder, last
longer.
By Jim Benes, American Machinist, April 2008.
http://www.diamondtc.com/media/ameri...april2008.html

Bob Clark
Old September 3rd 08, 05:41 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.chem,sci.energy,sci.physics
Pat Flannery

David Bostwick wrote:
Well, some things have been released. Velcro, for example. The oil companies
are paying the government to keep the pistons and similar things a secret.

The sad part is that there are people who will read this and think I'm
serious.

Some ceramics have made their way into auto engines, both in the
catalytic converters and the blades on turbosuperchargers.
I imagine the problem with using them on pistons and cylinders is
differential heat expansion compared to metal, causing the ceramic to
de-bond from the surface it is applied to.

Pat