Why Colonize Space?

Old August 12th 09, 02:08 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.econ
gabydewilde

Default Why post on usenet? (was: Why Colonize Space?)

On Aug 12, 1:33 am, Bill Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:12:16 -0700 (PDT), gabydewilde

wrote:
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to post on usenet. Are all arguments for sharing
thoughts and other postings on usenet really that weak and irrelevant?

In your cases, unquestionably.

ah ha!

I feel we are on to something here.

So there is no reason in my case for sharing thoughts and making other
postings on usenet BUT you felt the need to tell me this. I could of
course brush this off as your shortcoming which it obviously is but
lets assume I could compensate for our failure to communicate.

Could we build say the equivalent of a space elevator to make my vast
space of knowledge more accessible from your little world? The idea
here is of course for me to learn something new. I mean, you are
already sharing your thoughts with me in self proclaimed irrelevance.

We might as well put you to good use.

How can humans shamelessly suggest we should not visit other places?
What are we still doing on this planet? Why cant we talk about this?
What is wrong with the humans?

Here are 2 pictures.

http://www.kokogiak.com/solarsystemb...n200miles.html

http://rocksfromspace.open.ac.uk/images/ssmap.jpg

There might be oil there. *laughs*

What is up with this "why" question? Is it something to do with "the
real world"? The real world seems highly insignificant and
unimpressive. We are that dot there. I know you usenetties, proud to
be uninspired. You actually believe dreamers are people to laugh
about. Shamelessly playing the "why" card.

Size of Earth compare with stars
http://blog.go-here.nl/7815

Then say "why go there?" *laughs*

On Aug 12, 2:18 am, Uncle Al wrote:
gabydewilde wrote:

Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to post on usenet.

[snip rest of crap]

One empirically observes subhumans are FOB ollie ollie oxen free.

On Aug 12, 2:25 am, "Giggy Higgs" wrote:
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to post on usenet.

As a google-poster with a gmail address, your opinion is completely
irrelevant, and further postings are entirely unwelcome.

Zero creative thought, zero empathy, no dreams, no vision, totally
uninspired.... and proud of it.

Then try to convince yourself you are all that. HAHAHAHAHAHA

But I don't need your conscious minds, those aren't in charge of
anything anyway, meaningless nuance. They can be bypassed quite
easily. And no, lies aren't going to save you this time.

Due to a life support malfunction, Buck Rogers logic is accidentally
frozen for 504 years from watching to much fox news, before the
derelict mobile home is discovered in the year 2491. The combination
of propaganda and advertisement that froze his body coincidentally
comes close to the formula commonly used in the 25th Century for
cryopreservation, and his rescuers are able to revive him.

So, it is written in the Holly Wood prophecy thus so it will be.

[crip snap]

______
http://blog.go-here.nl/spacetravel
Old August 12th 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ

Default Why Colonize Space?

On Aug 2, 12:56*am, (William December Starr) wrote:
In article ,
"Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe said:

Fair enough, but frankly whatever you think it will most likely
happen. *After all president Bush Jr (not normally a favorite of
mine) commited the US to this.

No he didn't. *He just said things, all of which sounded nice and
none of which committed the nation to anything even _during_ his
time in office, let alone afterwards.

-- wds

that was the year before he promised to get the steriods outof
baseball, wasn't it? or was it the year after?
mission accomplished in triplicate.
Old August 12th 09, 02:31 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ

On Jul 31, 2:13*pm, (William December Starr) wrote:
In article ,
"Giga" said:

[...] but it still avoids the question of *what* would be more
useful to mine in space or on a non-terrestrial planet in the
Solar system than here on Earth.

HE3 AFAIU,

And how far is that?

Moon.

No, I meant "How far is the 'far' in that 'AFAIU'?"

Why do you think that Helium-3 would be useful -- as in,
cost-effective -- to mine from the Moon, if it's to be found there?

asteroids as well.

What do you think is more useful to mine from asteroids than here
on Earth?

Its not what I just think, there are companies already looking
into it.

"Looking into it" not= "it will be more useful to mine X from
asteroids than here on Earth." *It just means somebody's thinking
about it (assuming that *a given company isn't just a shell
designed to raise money from gullible investors and then vanish).

*You* don't seem to have answers as to why anyone should,
economically, want to invest in space colonization or exploitation.

[...]

Also you almost certainly need green-houses etc as well.

None of which require preliminary slower-than-light colonization of
the Solar system to develop.

Colonisation of other planets would not be useful experience for
colonisation of other planets? That statement cannot make sense
even to you?

Ah, you mean as practice for extra-solar colonization when/if a
working faster-than-light drive is invented? *(I thought you were
talking about hydroponics or something for use _on board_ an FTL but
still years-long journey.)

A good idea, except for the fact that it boils down to "We should
colonize the Solar system just so we'll be ready *in case* an FTL
drive is ever invented."

Look, I'd really, really, really like to believe that there's a
secret to breaking the speed-of-light limit out there just waiting
for to be discovered, and that mankind is going to go to the stars
and all that, but I'm not going to *assume* that it's going to
happen and then bootstrap an "And *because it's going to happen,
we'd better start getting getting ready for it *right now*" onto
that.

-- wds

and of course, the old question: if intrastellar travel is possible,
then where the hell is everybody? we're the only species in the galaxy
capable of potentially figuring it out?
Old August 12th 09, 02:36 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ

On Jul 23, 3:11*pm, ericthetolle wrote:
On Jul 23, 6:20 am, "Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe end)

wrote:
"William December Starr" wrote in ...

In article ,
"Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe said:

That to me would just the adequate life. Space could potentially
give us the resources for everyone to have their own planet!

I'm not sure that I have ever in my life seen more of a load placed
on a single word than what you just hung on that "potentially."

-- wds

: ) (true) but that is what its all about for me. Its all there just waiting
for us, shame to just settle for just one planet.

You haven't even bothered to colonize all of this one planet!

COME! *COLONIZE THE ANTARCTIC OCEAN! *COLONIZE THE OCEAN BOTTOM! *THE
RICHES OF THE ATLANTIC TRENCH ARE WAITING FOR YOU! *POTENTIALLY WE CAN
MAKE EVERY COLONIST RICH ENOUGH TO HAVE HIS OWN ISLAND!

Show me you have enough gumption to do THAT, and then I'll believe
your babble about being a big, daring colonist with foresight. *But if
you aren't even willing to colonize a floating platform south of the
Cape of Good Hope, then all your rhetoric is just so much bull****.

Eric Tolle- Hide quoted text -

exactly. we can't exploit the ocean bottoms, the polar regions, lots
of places on earth. mars can't possibly be more economically feasible
Old August 12th 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
gabydewilde

"Giga" said:

[...]

If we go to another planet the smart thing to do would be to build a
base a few km underground.

This should also explain where everybody is. *laughs*

Our keepers did investigate the response to disclosure. People
panicked -.-

So now when you see an object in the sky to far away to identify it
means you are crazy.

Such logic gives the humans a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

_____
http://blog.go-here.nl
Old August 12th 09, 04:16 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
gabydewilde

wrote:
[...]

There are many rocks up there made of 'exotic' materials. As that we
don't need human labor anymore building things is also much easier
without gravity.

Energy is also abundantly available. For radiolysis you only need a
radioactive source. There is plenty of that up there.

The most important components for the vision are the self replicating
machines. We only need a very small amount of multifunctional
harvesters and construction bots. Then can just order a space ship and
they will make one for you.

If energy and natural resources isn't an issue the only resources
required are time and thought. Artificial intelligence will continue
to expand, quantum computing may arrive soon. Then the only thing left
will be time.

One or two generations and the Legacy humans can be disposed of. A
compiler, an emulator and an interpreter. A chip with everything
humans documented in their brief existence.

Additionally we will build mind uploading technology. Hooking peeps up
to quantum computers is probably the first time humans are aware of
anything. We can get rid of the primitive interfaces. :-)

____
http://blog.go-here.nl
Old August 12th 09, 04:21 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
David Johnston

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:16:37 -0700 (PDT), gabydewilde
wrote:

exactly. we can't exploit the ocean bottoms, the polar regions, lots
of places on earth. mars can't possibly be more economically feasible

There are many rocks up there made of 'exotic' materials.

We have no real reason to think that is true. The table of elements
is the same no matter where you go.

Old August 12th 09, 05:23 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Sean O'Hara wrote
Rod Speed wrote
jmfbahciv wrote

The Dark Ages were dark because trade was constrained to local geographical areas.

No it wasnt. Most obviously with the crusades.

"The Dark Ages" refers to the early Medieval period --
end of the Western Empire to about 900 or 1000 AD.

Wrong. The term was invented by Francesco
Petrarca for the time prior to his time of 1330s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages

The Crusades didn't start until well after that.

Pity there was plenty of trade outside local geographical areas
even at the time you listed, most obviously with pilgrimages etc.

And those were in fact the reason for the crusades,
because so many of those pilgrims to the middle east
were ****ed over there when they attempted to do that.

And there were plenty of wars etc in the time you listed too,
and plenty like the vikings got up to raids over their entire
known world and quite a bit of their unknown world too.

Jim's claim is just plain wrong.

Old August 12th 09, 08:28 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Sean O'Hara wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean O'Hara wrote
Rod Speed wrote
jmfbahciv wrote

The Dark Ages were dark because trade was constrained to local geographical areas.

No it wasnt. Most obviously with the crusades.

"The Dark Ages" refers to the early Medieval period --
end of the Western Empire to about 900 or 1000 AD.

Wrong. The term was invented by Francesco
Petrarca for the time prior to his time of 1330s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages

Nobody uses it in that sense anymore,

Wrong, as always.

as the very article you cite notes:

Increased understanding of the accomplishments of the Middle
Ages in the 19th century challenged the characterization of
the entire period as one of darkness. Thus the term is
often restricted to periods within the Middle Ages, namely
the Early Middle Ages, though this usage is also disputed by
most modern scholars, who tend to avoid using the phrase.

Pity I rubbed your nose in the FACT that even in the early middle
ages, those unspeakable vikings were rampaging over their entire
known world and quite a bit of their unknown world too, so Jim's
original is just plain wrong about even just the early middle ages.

Later historians expanded the term to refer to the
transitional period between Classical Roman Antiquity and
the High Middle Ages, including not only the lack of Latin
literature, but also a lack of contemporary written history,
general demographic decline, limited building activity and
material cultural achievements in general.

That was the time when the vikings and other barbarians
were rampaging over their entire known world and quite
a bit of their unknown world too, so Jim's original is just
plain wrong about even just the early middle ages.

In the 19th century scholars began to recognize the
accomplishments made during the period, thereby challenging
the image of the Middle Ages as a time of darkness and decay.
The term "Dark Ages" is now rarely used in scholarship,
and when used, it is often restricted to the Early Middle Ages.

Irrelevant to Jim's claim about whatever you want to call that time.

If you tell a Medieval history or lit professor that the 13th Century (the greatest
of Centuries) was part of the Dark Ages, you'll be laughed out of the room.

In spades with your mindless pig ignorant silly **** about Western
Empire to about 900 or 1000 AD and even just the vikings alone.

In spades with the Normans that did a hell of a lot more
than just 'trade was constrained to local geographical
areas' in the time you are pig ignorantly proclaiming about.

Jim was just plain wrong and you are in spades.

Old August 12th 09, 09:44 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
23vl

wrote:
[...]

As Heinlein said-it is not a good idea to keep all our eggs in one
basket.
There is also the fact that the Earth can't sustain human growth
indefinitely,and we can find more resources and room for growth in
space,and the possibilities for scientific exploration.