15+ year Starfinder User wants recommendations

Old December 30th 04, 03:05 AM
Ishtim

Default 15+ year Starfinder User wants recommendations

I am 36+ yrs old, I have purchased 20+ acres in a dark sky region in
North Alabama (6-7+ naked eye mag. @ zenith) and I wanted some opinions
on a "retirement" scope. I am hoping to spend 30-60K on a dome + scope
& imaging devices... As of now I use a 10" Meade starfinder f4.5
(bought in 1990) w/Canon Digital Rebel. I am looking for advice on
everything from the building to the optics. My ideas so far are.......

10-15ft ProDome on custom made octagonal building, and either a custom
built Parallax R-C in the 16" to 20" range or just settling for a Meade
16" SCT OTA and buying a precision mount from one of more reputable
makers.

I would really like some opinions on this...
If you were in my shoes... What would you plan?

Old January 3rd 05, 12:05 AM
Fr Chas

I suppose much depends on what you really want to do with the equipment. If
you want to image wide fields, then I would go with the RC type instruments.
If you want to do visual, then I might consider a big apo refractor (as well as
a Newtonian, SCT, MCT).

I would consider purchasing a roll-off roof and make a big unit with a warm
room side. You could make quite a nice roll off roof for what you would have
invested in a dome. Of course, that is your call.

With that kind of money, I would probably consider the biggest aperture and
build around it...30" to 40". I would also tag on it a nice APO up to 7". I
would leave enough money for a custom mount by Mathis or Byers and state of the
art CCD and computer equipment (to automate) to do serious asteroid, exoplanet
and supernovae research, etc. Again, my tastes go to a roll off roof if the
humidity bears it. Jim Riffle would probably be a good person to talk with as
well as Jack Newton and Tom Clark.

At any rate, let us know what plans you come up with and share your dream with
us!