Question about Astromart and valid email addresses

Old September 30th 04, 06:51 AM
mark ensley

Default Question about Astromart and valid email addresses

I have a question about Astromart.

This has probably been asked before, but I was wondering what their
criteria were for accepting email addresses as being valid.

I've had a yahoo email address for many years now which has become my
main email address after a few movings and job or school changings. It
can remain constant when all else around me is chaos

I understand that Astromart had a lot of trouble with fraud in the
past, and that most of this fraud came from easy to obtain free email
accounts like yahoo.

I got an astromart while employed and used my employers email address
because they didn't mind me doing so. Bought and sold some, and have a
nice five star rating which I'd like to keep.

I'm not working there anymore and don't have that freedom anymore.

Last week a friend sent me a gmail invite, and I tried to transfer my
Astromart account to that, because I've got some crap, and need some
stuff, and so would like to place and answer ads. No dice, gmail's not
accepted.

So, if you're not in school, or your employer's not understanding
about non job related email activity, and you're a five-star Astromart
member, what should you do?

I'm hesitant to even post this, because I don't want people to post
the email servers they use only to have them banned by Astromart. And
I don't want fraudsters to get hints. But it's aggrivating.

Any suggestions? Email me privately if you want.

thanks!

=Mark Ensley
Old September 30th 04, 07:42 PM
John

"mark ensley" wrote in message
om...
I have a question about Astromart.

This has probably been asked before, but I was wondering what their
criteria were for accepting email addresses as being valid.

Invalid email addresses are those which may be obtained anonymously. Valid
email addresses are those which require the user to have identified himself
to someone at some time. Astromart is trying to avoid participants who are
anonymous and thus difficult to identify when problems occur.

John C

Old September 30th 04, 08:15 PM
Herb York

Exactly - and when we get users going to another yahoo/hotmail clone we make
it so that clone is not allowed - mail.com for example and a couple others -
I add them as they become an issue.
The person that recommend you use someone else's account is right - it
works - problem is we check duplicate ISPs and when you screw up he loses
his account too. Just happened a few days ago. Guy had lots of good ratings
and lost them all.
Thanks
Herb
AstroMart

Old September 30th 04, 10:56 PM
WayneH

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:15:07 -0700, "Herb York"
wrote

The person that recommend you use someone else's account is right - it
works - problem is we check duplicate ISPs and when you screw up he loses
his account too. Just happened a few days ago. Guy had lots of good ratings
and lost them all.

That person was (is) me, and it was not my intention that he use his
friend's e-mail address, but if that friend's ISP allows multiple
e-mail addresses (as most do nowadays) that the friend set up one of
the "extras" for the AM user's own use, which would be fully
traceable, etc.

I like the security AM provides, and don't want it undercut in any
way.

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://users.adelphia.net/~w6wlr/
Old October 1st 04, 12:11 AM
Herb York

I appreciate that - I am just saying that when you let someone USE your ISP
even with a different name if they screw up you lose your account too due to
our cross checking duplicate ISP #s
I suggest it is not a good idea but it does work if you are willing to risk
your own good name and ratings.
Thanks
Herb
AstroMart

Old October 1st 04, 12:37 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:11:55 -0700, "Herb York" wrote:

I appreciate that - I am just saying that when you let someone USE your ISP
even with a different name if they screw up you lose your account too due to
our cross checking duplicate ISP #s
I suggest it is not a good idea but it does work if you are willing to risk
your own good name and ratings.
Thanks
Herb
AstroMart

By "use with a different name" I think what is meant is that they have a unique
email address. Most ISPs let you have multiple mailboxes. What you mean (I
hope!) is that you check for duplicate email addresses, not ISPs. Otherwise,
when one person with AOL or Earthlink screws up, you would delete the accounts
of everyone using those ISPs. I don't think that's what you meant.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old October 1st 04, 03:48 PM
vic20owner

Herb York wrote:
I appreciate that - I am just saying that when you let someone USE your ISP
even with a different name if they screw up you lose your account too due to
our cross checking duplicate ISP #s
I suggest it is not a good idea but it does work if you are willing to risk
your own good name and ratings.
Thanks
Herb

Are you saying you cross check IP addresses with the email address? God
I certainly hope not since the purpose of email is that you can send and
receive it from anywhere, even through other different ISP's.

-tom