ASTRO: moon (again)

Old December 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: moon (again)

I posted a similar picture about a month ago of the moon on Oct 30, 2006.
This image was taken at the same time, but here I have combined 5 exposures.
The camera was a Canon Rebel DSLR and the scope was an AstroPhysics 6-inch
F/12 refractor. If you want one the current bid I saw on AstroMart for the
same tube (only 25 made) is now $5,200. I'd like to see what this scope can
do on the planets with a webcam or similar video camera.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon-10-30-06.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	217

Old December 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
LA

Looks well resolved George. These are going to be rare shots. I've heard
that they are planning to put a space station on the moon soon. After a
while the moon will have light pollution too. Clear Skyz, LA

Old December 10th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Phil[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 02:50:54 +0000, George Normandin wrote:

I posted a similar picture about a month ago of the moon on Oct 30, 2006.
This image was taken at the same time, but here I have combined 5 exposures.
The camera was a Canon Rebel DSLR and the scope was an AstroPhysics 6-inch
F/12 refractor. If you want one the current bid I saw on AstroMart for the
same tube (only 25 made) is now $5,200. I'd like to see what this scope can
do on the planets with a webcam or similar video camera.

George N

I think many of us would would like to see what planetary images it can
produce. Mind you I suspect the 20" will be very good too-perhaps you
could do a comparison for us trying to decide what the next dream scope
should be
Nice image of the Moon (and speaking of the 20" the NGC 7331 images are
excellent).
Phil Bishop
Old December 10th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

nice!

Old December 10th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"LA" wrote
Looks well resolved George. These are going to be rare shots. I've heard
that they are planning to put a space station on the moon soon. After a
while the moon will have light pollution too. Clear Skyz, LA

Ya Larry, and there will probably be haze on the moon too!

Sean Walker (S&T asst editor and onetime poster here) recently e-mailed me a
copy of a moon mosaic done by done with his 7-inch Mak-Newt and the
Luminara camera he had to review. The resolution was super. I think it was
the camera.

George N

Old December 10th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Phil" wrote
..
..... the scope was an AstroPhysics 6-inch
F/12 refractor. ...... I'd like to see what this scope can
do on the planets with a webcam or similar video camera.

I think many of us would would like to see what planetary images it can
produce. Mind you I suspect the 20" will be very good too-perhaps you
could do a comparison for us trying to decide what the next dream scope
should be......

Phil the problem we've had with the 20RC on planets (and our C-14 also) is
heat running out the dome slit. Visually my Obsession 20 beats them all
(side-by-side comparison) on planets mostly because the seeing is better
outside. The original design for the 20 was to air-condition the dome, but
alas, the funds ran out. Now I think that the 6-inch refractor will be the
best solar/lunar/planetary scope at our observatory.

George N

Old December 11th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Phil[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:38:56 +0000, George Normandin wrote:

"Phil" wrote
.
..... the scope was an AstroPhysics 6-inch
F/12 refractor. ...... I'd like to see what this scope can
do on the planets with a webcam or similar video camera.

I think many of us would would like to see what planetary images it can
produce. Mind you I suspect the 20" will be very good too-perhaps you
could do a comparison for us trying to decide what the next dream scope
should be......

Phil the problem we've had with the 20RC on planets (and our C-14 also) is
heat running out the dome slit. Visually my Obsession 20 beats them all
(side-by-side comparison) on planets mostly because the seeing is better
outside. The original design for the 20 was to air-condition the dome, but
alas, the funds ran out. Now I think that the 6-inch refractor will be the
best solar/lunar/planetary scope at our observatory.

George N

Shame about the dome problems, would have been fun to see what it could do.
Phil