Totally empty space?

Old October 18th 16, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Totally empty space?

Is there anywhere in space, well out past our solar system, between stars, where
there's absolutely nothing? And by that I mean not even any atoms? Or does the
fact that there's a "space" out there mean there are atoms? Just got to thinking
about it. Thanks.
Old October 19th 16, 04:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 18:14:22 -0700, Fred J. McCall wrote:

wrote:

Is there anywhere in space, well out past our solar system, between stars, where
there's absolutely nothing? And by that I mean not even any atoms? Or does the
fact that there's a "space" out there mean there are atoms? Just got to thinking
about it. Thanks.

You're still going to have some atoms. There may be only one in a one
meter cube (intergalactic space), but there will be some.

Okay. But an atom of what? Hydrogen? Carbon?
Old October 19th 16, 12:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean Markley

wrote:

Is there anywhere in space, well out past our solar system, between stars, where
there's absolutely nothing? And by that I mean not even any atoms? Or does the
fact that there's a "space" out there mean there are atoms? Just got to thinking
about it. Thanks.

You're still going to have some atoms. There may be only one in a one
meter cube (intergalactic space), but there will be some.

Okay. But an atom of what? Hydrogen? Carbon?

Short answer: Yes. It could really be almost any atom or molecule but hydrogen, being the most common element is most likely.
Old October 20th 16, 03:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Dean Markley wrote:

wrote:

Is there anywhere in space, well out past our solar system, between stars, where
there's absolutely nothing? And by that I mean not even any atoms? Or does the
fact that there's a "space" out there mean there are atoms? Just got to thinking
about it. Thanks.

You're still going to have some atoms. There may be only one in a one
meter cube (intergalactic space), but there will be some.

Okay. But an atom of what? Hydrogen? Carbon?

What are stellar winds made up of?

Hint: It's not carbon.

Protons!

And protons are?

[Come on, you're a chemist.]

That's mostly what you're going to find. The occasional atom of other
stuff, especially if you're somewhere near a supernova.

--
"Have you noticed that the most subtle shedders of blood have always
been the most civilized gentlemen? If civilization has not made man