Spacex launch (or lack of it)

Old November 28th 05, 06:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default Spacex launch (or lack of it)

I wonder if somebody has intentionally left that vent valve open.

I am thinking of going for the Bigelow space prize (50M) with my TSTO
concept using LOX-LPG. I would achieve full functionality with repeated
aerial and later sub-orbital flights using the second stage only. In
the end after satisfactory performance I would add the first stage and
go orbital. I would use 300 PSI uel and LOX tanks, with pressurized
header tanks at 1 to 2 thousand PSI. The vehicle would be vertical
landing, maybe even takeoff. I ll ask around for some funding.

Old November 28th 05, 11:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy

zoltan wrote:

I wonder if somebody has intentionally left that vent valve open.

(Cut to Lockmart spy in stovepipe hat, handlebar mustache, and smoking a
cheroot...hopefully not too near the venting Lox, although that is
exactly what Professor Fate would do.)
Weren't SpaceX the guys who forgot to order the Lox truck for their
earlier rocket test?
Peenemunde's steely eyed missile men these guys ain't.

I am thinking of going for the Bigelow space prize (50M) with my TSTO
concept using LOX-LPG. I would achieve full functionality with repeated
aerial and later sub-orbital flights using the second stage only. In
the end after satisfactory performance I would add the first stage and
go orbital. I would use 300 PSI uel and LOX tanks, with pressurized
header tanks at 1 to 2 thousand PSI. The vehicle would be vertical
landing, maybe even takeoff. I ll ask around for some funding.

I'd expect to be knocking on a _lot_ of doors. ;-)

Pat
Old November 28th 05, 03:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:

(Cut to Lockmart spy in stovepipe hat, handlebar mustache, and smoking a
cheroot...hopefully not too near the venting Lox, although that is
exactly what Professor Fate would do.)
Weren't SpaceX the guys who forgot to order the Lox truck for their
earlier rocket test?
Peenemunde's steely eyed missile men these guys ain't.

There's this thing called a "checklist"...
Old November 28th 05, 04:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy

richard schumacher wrote:

There's this thing called a "checklist"...

There you go with all your paperwork...next come the endless meetings,
change order documentation, layers of middle managers... haven't you
heard that alt.space will open the way to the stars without all that
NAy-SAying bureaucracy?

-Monte makes a good sound bite, anyway
Old November 28th 05, 05:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy

In article .com,
"zoltan" wrote:

I am thinking of going for the Bigelow space prize (50M) with my TSTO
concept using LOX-LPG. I would achieve full functionality with repeated
aerial and later sub-orbital flights using the second stage only. In
the end after satisfactory performance I would add the first stage and
go orbital. I would use 300 PSI uel and LOX tanks, with pressurized
header tanks at 1 to 2 thousand PSI. The vehicle would be vertical
landing, maybe even takeoff. I ll ask around for some funding.

Good luck with that.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old November 28th 05, 07:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy

richard schumacher wrote:
In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:

(Cut to Lockmart spy in stovepipe hat, handlebar mustache, and smoking a
cheroot...hopefully not too near the venting Lox, although that is
exactly what Professor Fate would do.)
Weren't SpaceX the guys who forgot to order the Lox truck for their
earlier rocket test?
Peenemunde's steely eyed missile men these guys ain't.

There's this thing called a "checklist"...

How do you know what to put on a checklist? Answer: anything you forgot
last time.

It's more worrisome to me that Musk didn't put a bigger LOX generator
on Kwajalein to begin with. This is where they're supposedly going to
launch their Falcon 9s from, which will require 10 times as much LOX
--wouldn't it make more sense to build it up from the very beginning?
Makes me wonder if Musk is hedging on the bigger launcher development
now.

Tom

Old November 28th 05, 08:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 11:18:34 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Tom Cuddihy"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

It's more worrisome to me that Musk didn't put a bigger LOX generator
on Kwajalein to begin with. This is where they're supposedly going to
launch their Falcon 9s from, which will require 10 times as much LOX
--wouldn't it make more sense to build it up from the very beginning?
Makes me wonder if Musk is hedging on the bigger launcher development
now.

He probably is, since he says that he intends to go out and look for
investment for it early next year.

The other thing I notice is that, although the available pics and
models of Falcon 1 have always shown the fuel line from the first stage
fuel tank to the engines, neither Falcon 5 or 9 pics and models show
that detail, which means either its (a) internal -- meaning more
complexity, structural difficulties, etc, or (b) that detail hasn't
been decided yet(!) which seems like a big one to omit on a
multi-engine stage.

Old November 28th 05, 09:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy

"Tom Cuddihy" wrote:

richard schumacher wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

Weren't SpaceX the guys who forgot to order the Lox truck for their
earlier rocket test?
Peenemunde's steely eyed missile men these guys ain't.

There's this thing called a "checklist"...

How do you know what to put on a checklist?

By sitting down before hand an actually thinking and walking through
the launch procedures. Really simple stuff, not rocket surgery.

Answer: anything you forgot last time.

ROTFLMAO.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 28th 05, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy

What do you mean? The fuel line from the first stage oxygen tank to the
engine? That is internal even in the falcon 1. The protruding thing you
see on the side of the falcon I stage is just for cables and stuff, at
least AFAIK.