Completely reusable single module orbital shuttle

Old September 20th 05, 08:41 AM
DarkD

Default Completely reusable single module orbital shuttle

Ignoring cost factors can this been done, assuming a 5 Tonne payload? I am
guessing the only real restriction is the weight of the fuel. How much more
fuel would this require than the current shuttle? I am guessing it would be
over 1,000 times more.

Old September 20th 05, 03:57 PM
Jeff Findley

"DarkD" wrote in message
u...
Ignoring cost factors can this been done, assuming a 5 Tonne payload? I am
guessing the only real restriction is the weight of the fuel. How much

more
fuel would this require than the current shuttle? I am guessing it would

be
over 1,000 times more.

Stop guessing and do some research. A fully reusable TSTO ought to be
doable for far less than three orders of magnitude bigger than the shuttle!

For starters, take a look at what Space-X is planning on doing with reusable
first stages.

Jeff

Old September 21st 05, 01:10 PM
DarkD

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"DarkD" wrote in message
u...
Ignoring cost factors can this been done, assuming a 5 Tonne payload? I

am
guessing the only real restriction is the weight of the fuel. How much

more
fuel would this require than the current shuttle? I am guessing it would

be
over 1,000 times more.

Stop guessing and do some research. A fully reusable TSTO ought to be
doable for far less than three orders of magnitude bigger than the

shuttle!

For starters, take a look at what Space-X is planning on doing with

reusable
first stages.

I was only looking for a rough guestimate, chill out, hope I didn't take up
to much of your valuable trolling time.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:27 AM
Mike Dennis

"DarkD" wrote in message
u...

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"DarkD" wrote in message
u...
Ignoring cost factors can this been done, assuming a 5 Tonne payload? I

am
guessing the only real restriction is the weight of the fuel. How much

more
fuel would this require than the current shuttle? I am guessing it
would

be
over 1,000 times more.

Stop guessing and do some research. A fully reusable TSTO ought to be
doable for far less than three orders of magnitude bigger than the

shuttle!

For starters, take a look at what Space-X is planning on doing with

reusable
first stages.

I was only looking for a rough guestimate, chill out, hope I didn't take
up
to much of your valuable trolling time.

Don't worry about it. He doesn't have time to be nice because he's busy
trying to figure out the difference between real spaceships and pretty
pictures.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:55 AM
bombardmentforce

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com/2005/09/race.html

Try flying this one against the new NASA design.

High energy fuel is the key.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
Jeff Findley

"Mike Dennis" wrote in message
.. .
"DarkD" wrote in message
u...

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
For starters, take a look at what Space-X is planning on doing with

reusable
first stages.

I was only looking for a rough guestimate, chill out, hope I didn't take
up
to much of your valuable trolling time.

Don't worry about it. He doesn't have time to be nice because he's busy
trying to figure out the difference between real spaceships and pretty
pictures.

It's true that Space-X's pretty pictures are little different than the
pretty pictures NASA has put up on its web site for the stick, SDHLV, CEV,
and lunar lander. Even NASA admits that the lunar lander "design" is very
notional and likely to change.

However, the original poster asserted that he thought a fully reusable
launch vehicle would need to use 1000 times more fuel than the shuttle. I
was pointing him in a direction that is far closer to reality than his
fantasy.

Jeff

Old September 22nd 05, 10:19 PM
Katipo

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"DarkD" wrote in message
u...
Ignoring cost factors can this been done, assuming a 5 Tonne payload? I
am
guessing the only real restriction is the weight of the fuel. How much

more
fuel would this require than the current shuttle? I am guessing it would

be
over 1,000 times more.

Stop guessing and do some research. A fully reusable TSTO ought to be
doable for far less than three orders of magnitude bigger than the
shuttle!

For starters, take a look at what Space-X is planning on doing with
reusable
first stages.

What if you added the ability for this TSTO to leave earth orbit and fly to
lunar orbit with a fully reusable lander in its cargo bay?

Old September 23rd 05, 01:57 AM
Mike Dennis

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Mike Dennis" wrote in message
.. .
"DarkD" wrote in message
u...

[...]

It looked more to me like he didn't really have a clue and was looking for
some help. You didn't sound very helpful and referring them to vaporware as
a reference is pointless. There's a lot of real-life useful references out
there.