Linux is doomed as SCO drops the bomb.

Old August 10th 03, 03:13 AM
Stephen Stocker

Default Linux is doomed as SCO drops the bomb.

In article 9q6Za.103796$Ho3.13857@sccrnsc03, G.Beat wrote:
Does not Microsoft still have a partial ownership in SCO (as they also do
with Apple)?

Could be viewed as a restriction of trade. I see IBM has stepped in ...
sounds like the third match
between IBM and Microsoft ... and if this is true ... then the attorneys
will get rich.

gb

"Nomen" wrote in message
om...
Linux is a good system for a hobbyist but is just to unstable and
cryptic for common users.

Unstable? Linux stability is legendary. That's why most servers use
it.

Any company making a large investment in Linux right now is foolish
because if SCO turns out to prevail, they are going to be paying large
royalties to them.

No problem there. Even assuming SCO did win this (somewhat unlikely, I
think), many in the Linux programming community are confident that any
code which SCO claims is "proprietary" can easily be rewritten. This
isn't M$, remember.

Linux is made for geeks and weirdo's as a replacement for females.

As opposed to the fools who enrich Gates for use of his so-called "OS"?

I personally agree with the guy who said that if the GUI was the price
paid to bring computing to the masses, then the price was too high. And
yes, that includes X-Window.

Steve
Old August 10th 03, 03:33 AM
Jon Berndt

"Stephen Stocker" wrote in message

Unstable? Linux stability is legendary. That's why most servers use
it.

I've got a sort of firewall/router at home that runs CoyoteLinux - a small
Linux setup built solely for that use. It fits on a floppy and runs on an
old 5x86 machine with no hard drive and no fan. It goes for weeks on end and
only needs attention when the power goes out. Very solid.

Jon

Old August 10th 03, 05:04 AM
Kent Betts

"Homer J. Fong"
Microsoft does NOT have any ownership in Apple. In 1998 they purchased
$150 of non-voting stock (which they have since cashed in on). In
return, Apple agreed to make IE the default browser on the Mac. This
deal has since expired (as Apple now makes their own web browser).

$150 million to help Apple through a rough patch in their cash flow. MS did not
want Apple to go out of business because a big chunk of MS sales is Apple
version of MSWord, EXcel, etc.

Old August 10th 03, 08:23 AM
Stephen Stocker

In article , Kent Betts wrote:
"Stephen Stocker
I personally agree with the guy who said that if the GUI was the price
paid to bring computing to the masses, then the price was too high

The more I use MSWindows the more it seems like some sort of Nintendo game. The
user has no control over features, no way to troubleshoot. The code is too fat.
Not much good about it other than it is cheap and ubiquitous.

Yeah, the "no control" is a big issue with me. I'm the first to admit
I'm weird when it comes to computers, but I like to have as much
control as possible, even if I don't know what I'm doing!

Steve
Old August 10th 03, 08:46 AM
paul cooke

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:04:35 -0500, Kent Betts wrote:

"Homer J. Fong"
Microsoft does NOT have any ownership in Apple. In 1998 they purchased
$150 of non-voting stock (which they have since cashed in on). In
return, Apple agreed to make IE the default browser on the Mac. This
deal has since expired (as Apple now makes their own web browser).

$150 million to help Apple through a rough patch in their cash flow. MS did not
want Apple to go out of business because a big chunk of MS sales is Apple
version of MSWord, EXcel, etc.

MS did not want Apple to go out of business because that would be the end
of their "we are not a monopoly look at Apple" defence...(they're keeping
Apple alive purely so they could say that competition to MS-Windows exists)

--
Had to reboot your ms-windows computer yet today???
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X27F52465

Old August 10th 03, 09:40 AM
Chuck Stewart

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:29:41 +0000, Jon Berndt wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message

As we speak, my OS X iBook (running Apple's version of BSD) has an
uptime of 20 days, 13 hours and 58 minutes. Not many other OS's can
manage this kind of stability.

Actually, my Windows 2000 Pro box has only gone down in recent months
because of thunderstorms ... or silly reboots needed because of security
patch upgrades. Otherwise, it has been up for weeks at a time, and I bang on
it pretty hard.

Linux Mandrake 9.0

$ uptime
$ 8:33am up 12:12

12 hours 12 minutes... but then my computer sleeps when I do.

The inevitability of sudden thunderstorms in the Indy area makes
me cautious with my system, even with a UPS.

Now... ask me when the last time this box _crashed_

Jon

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old August 10th 03, 10:18 AM
Chuck Stewart

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:48:23 +0000, Jon Berndt wrote:

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in message

The inevitability of sudden thunderstorms in the Indy area makes
me cautious with my system, even with a UPS.

I assume you're not talking about Indianapolis , Indiana. :-) Where is the
"Indy area"? Any live webcams of the area available online?

Will this do?

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

Beware of any place with a constant 20-30% chance of precipitation
and temps in the 80's.... thunderboomers roll in and out at a
moments notice.

Now... ask me when the last time this box _crashed_

OK. When did it last crash?

It hasn't

"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Has it ever been figured out if these catgirls are a threat, yet?

Yes.

If they are not studying algebra, should we be concerned?

Yes, catgirls with time on their hands are... unpredictable.

But it'd be worse if they _were_ studying algebra... algebra leads
to calculus... calculus leads to aerospace engineers... and
catgirls as aerospace engineers leads to weapons development
projects such as conversion of the Crawler-Transporter System from
a shuttle-hauler to an articulated combat mecha.

;-)

(:B (:B (:P (:B (:b (:B

Jon

Old August 10th 03, 02:02 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
"Jon Berndt" wrote:

"Stephen Stocker" wrote in message

Unstable? Linux stability is legendary. That's why most servers use
it.

I've got a sort of firewall/router at home that runs CoyoteLinux - a small
Linux setup built solely for that use. It fits on a floppy and runs on an
old 5x86 machine with no hard drive and no fan. It goes for weeks on end and
only needs attention when the power goes out. Very solid.

Jon

My Linux box in my office is used for typical office tasks running
OpenOffice, as a CUPS print server for other boxes, and as a web server
(Apache2) for viewing office calendars over the LAN (phpicalendar and/or
phpgroupware). I managed 42 days + uptime over one stretch before a
spring thunderstorm glitched the power for a second, just long enough to
lockup the box. It has NEVER locked up and stopped responding entirely.
As we speak, my OS X iBook (running Apple's version of BSD) has an
uptime of 20 days, 13 hours and 58 minutes. Not many other OS's can
manage this kind of stability.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer

Old August 10th 03, 02:48 PM
Jon Berndt

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in message

The inevitability of sudden thunderstorms in the Indy area makes
me cautious with my system, even with a UPS.

I assume you're not talking about Indianapolis , Indiana. :-) Where is the
"Indy area"? Any live webcams of the area available online?

Now... ask me when the last time this box _crashed_

OK. When did it last crash?

"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Has it ever been figured out if these catgirls are a threat, yet? If they