Good news for DirecTV subscribers

Old June 6th 04, 06:40 PM
Patty Winter

Default Good news for DirecTV subscribers

I just found out that DirecTV has moved NASA TV (ch. 376) to their
main satellite. That means that any DirecTV subscriber can now watch
NASA TV; you no longer need to have the oval satellite that can see
119 deg. as well as 101 deg.

Their barker announcements about programming packages on ch. 998
mention this change. (Also moved were RFD, BYU, and EWTN.) So it
isn't just some "let's shuffle slots for the weekend" thing; it's
permanent.

I broke down and bought a second (newer) DirecTV receiver a couple
of years ago so that I could get NASA TV. I'm still glad that I
have that secondary receiver in my office, but now I can also watch
NASA TV on my big TV--yay!

Patty

Old June 6th 04, 08:07 PM
bob haller

I just found out that DirecTV has moved NASA TV (ch. 376) to their
main satellite. That means that any

So it
isn't just some "let's shuffle slots for the weekend" thing; it's
permanent.

Its permanent and the news has been discussed for the last month or so on
dbsforums.com
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old June 6th 04, 08:29 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
(Patty Winter) wrote:

I just found out that DirecTV has moved NASA TV (ch. 376) to their
main satellite. That means that any DirecTV subscriber can now watch
NASA TV; you no longer need to have the oval satellite that can see
119 deg. as well as 101 deg.

Their barker announcements about programming packages on ch. 998
mention this change. (Also moved were RFD, BYU, and EWTN.) So it
isn't just some "let's shuffle slots for the weekend" thing; it's
permanent.

I broke down and bought a second (newer) DirecTV receiver a couple
of years ago so that I could get NASA TV. I'm still glad that I
have that secondary receiver in my office, but now I can also watch
NASA TV on my big TV--yay!

Patty

Holy ****, hooray! I've been anticipating getting a multi-sat,
triple-LNB dish for HD in the next few months (need the new HD DirecTiVo
badly!) and looking forward to getting access to NASA TV in the process.
Thanks for the heads-up! Too bad they didn't do this sooner; I'd have
liked to see some of the stuff related to the Columbia investigation
last year. I know why they didn't do it (had to keep enough
transponders for locals at the 101 W slot; now with the newest spot-beam
sat (DirectTV 7S) entering service, they can free up space on the CONUS
transponders.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old June 7th 04, 03:27 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up! Too bad they didn't do this sooner; I'd have
liked to see some of the stuff related to the Columbia investigation
last year.

Yeah, they should have done it when they first added NASA TV.
Evidently although the satellite TV services are required to
carry some public service channels, there's no rule that those
channels have to be on any particular satellite. Dish put NASA
TV on its main bird, but DirecTV shuffled it off to the side.
Very frustrating.

I know why they didn't do it (had to keep enough
transponders for locals at the 101 W slot; now with the newest spot-beam
sat (DirectTV 7S) entering service, they can free up space on the CONUS
transponders.

Ah, that's probably it. I hadn't associated this move with the
recent 7S launch, but that would make sense. Whatever the reason,
and however long ago they should have done it, I'm glad that it's
finally happened.

Patty

Old June 7th 04, 05:52 AM
starman

Patty Winter wrote:

I just found out that DirecTV has moved NASA TV (ch. 376) to their
main satellite. That means that any DirecTV subscriber can now watch
NASA TV; you no longer need to have the oval satellite that can see
119 deg. as well as 101 deg.

I just discovered NASA on 376 too. It really made my day. I would have
had to install a second dish about 100-ft from the house to get the 119
bird. Now it's academic.

Old June 8th 04, 01:55 AM
Bruce Kille

Thanks for the heads up! Sure took them long enough...
and it seems they didn't make much of an announcement
that it happened either. I get my DirecTV through Pegasus,
which is going away soon, so maybe we will get better
service 'direct' from DirecTV, but I'm not holding my
breath...but I am very happy to get NASA TV without
the dual dish mess...
YMMV, Bruce

Old June 8th 04, 02:08 AM
Patty Winter

BTW, NASA TV's special-events schedule says they'll be airing
the Venus transit live from Athens tonight, from 1:00 a.m. to
7:45 a.m. ET.

Patty

Old June 17th 04, 07:35 PM
David Ball

On 06 Jun 2004 19:07:20 GMT, (bob haller) wrote:

I just found out that DirecTV has moved NASA TV (ch. 376) to their
main satellite. That means that any

So it
isn't just some "let's shuffle slots for the weekend" thing; it's
permanent.

Its permanent and the news has been discussed for the last month or so on
dbsforums.com
HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Try
http://www.dbsforums.com/

When I used just dbsforums.com, I got an error saying "No web site is
configured at this address." Hmmm, they should probably fix that on
their server.

-- David