gratitude etc. (was Apollo: One gas environment?)

Old May 15th 04, 04:51 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-05-14, Scott Hedrick wrote:

Nice fellow, Mr. Pratchett. I have several signed editions. I am as
perplexed as he is why Piers Anthony's Xanth series did so well, but
Discworld doesn't have a bigger following.

Very wide folowing in .uk; I think a popular explanation for the .us,
um, limited market penetration effects... hmm... where'd I put that
link...

"I sell some [books]. I had a sort of publisher, in the same way that
duckweed counts as a plant. I can only repeat: my last publishers were
so good they spelled my name wrong in the books, made sure they had
covers in 50 shades of mud, and kept them out of the shops."

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/word...he-master.html

God knows about Xanth, though. There is a God, and He is malign?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old May 15th 04, 09:46 PM
Neil Gerace

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

Very wide folowing in .uk; I think a popular explanation for the .us,
um, limited market penetration effects... hmm... where'd I put that
link...

"I sell some [books]. I had a sort of publisher, in the same way that
duckweed counts as a plant. I can only repeat: my last publishers were
so good they spelled my name wrong in the books, made sure they had
covers in 50 shades of mud, and kept them out of the shops."

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/word...he-master.html

He'd have to rewrite the books so that American publishers could understand
the pop-culture references.

Old May 16th 04, 04:22 AM
Peter Stickney

Pat Flannery writes:

Peter Stickney wrote:

ITYM Llama for Peru, and Lama for Tibet, as in "The One-L Lama, he's a
Priest, the Two-L Llama, he's a Beast..."
But then again either/or both may have been on vacation/

According to a Hassidic Rabbi that I worked with, the Lama would,
indeed, be Kosher, under the proper circumstances.

If I'm reading you correctly, the Rabbi just endorsed cannibalism.

Uhm - yes, in fact. Under teh proper circumstances, of course.
(Like being trapped in a whaleboat after the Pequod gets sunk, or
flying half-way over the Andes - that sort of thing.

This sounds more Roman Catholic than Jewish.

Well, Roasting childrem was always more of a Calvinist conceit.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 16th 04, 04:58 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...And I'm cuing Derek in on this one for his comments: The "Kobiashi
Maru" scenario they used to give was this: you're stationed on a sub.

And like the fictional Kobayashi Maru this one is filled with holes
and contradictions in an attempt to force the trainee into giving the
right answer without actually training him on how to reach that
conclusion. In the ST KM scenario, the pre-ordained answer is 'die
gallantly'. In your scenario, it's the Naval line; 'An officer can be
wrong, but he cannot be indecisive or hesitant'.

Best advice I ever got for wilderness leadership is, "If you're going to be
wrong, at least be confidently wrong."

People will follow you if you're confident, whether you're right or wrong,
but if you're lacking confidence in your abilities, they'll never follow
you, no matter how right you are.

And of course, if you have them following you, many "marginal" situations
that might not be perfectly "right" will often turn out much better than
otherwise.

The simple fact of the matter is this; You do not launch, *EVER*
without positive launch authority, *EVER*. (Such authority can be
obtained by means other than a flash message, but that's enough said
on that topic.)

How we would have reacted as individuals was something rarely
discussed, as an incorrect launch was a nightmare scenario, completely
contrary to our training and philosphy. How I would have reacted
personally is matter between myself and $DIETY.

Of course this whole subject brings up the movie Crimson Tide of which
I've heard surprisingly different reactions from various folks claiming to
be submariners.

(basically breaking down to "it's unrealistic, a crew would never mutiny" to
"a crew would never allow a launch in a situation like that.")

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Old May 16th 04, 05:04 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Scott Hedrick wrote:

And just where does Dr. Brown's "Cel-Ray" celery-flavored soda fit into

the
kosher list?

Y-e-e-c-c-h-h.... I think that one's unclean until evening on general
principles....

I don't even bring up the name of that soda in my wife's presence. The
reaction just based on her memory of one taste of it is interesting.

Pat

Old May 16th 04, 06:16 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
I don't even bring up the name of that soda in my wife's presence. The
reaction just based on her memory of one taste of it is interesting.

If you consider retching dry heaves "interesting".

Even Hubba Bubba soda wasn't that bad.

Old May 17th 04, 07:07 PM
Ami Silberman

....at this point Ami's Rabbi knocked on the door, and asked if he was
busy; Ami stated that he was writing a posting to a newsgroup concerning
kosher food.....six hours later Ami knew more about kosher law than
anyone in the neighborhood, and indeed far more than even he had ever
wanted to know.....and the Rabbi had gotten yet another free, and
completely kosher, meal....."Now" the Rabbi thought "....over to Mr.
Steinberg's for a discussion of the kosher status of Scotch whiskey and
cigars...." :-)

Which is pretty funny considering that I'm and atheist with
Unitarian/Universalist leanings. Now, if you replace Rabbit with Rabbi, then
my garden is rapidly becoming a Yeshiva.

Old May 17th 04, 07:13 PM
Ami Silberman

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Cicadas? You know they're arthropods, don't you? Akin to shrimp and
lobster, and not insects. In preparation for Brood X here, newspapers
are full of "interesting" recipes for the adventurous gourmand.

Later, the Leviticus text states (11.23) "But all other winged swarming
things that have four legs shall be an abomination for you." ....after
giving the green light to locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers as light
novelty snacks. Either something's getting lost in translation, or those
forty years in the desert didn't do anything for the Hebrew's powers of
observation.... :-\

Pat

My grandfather, who grew up in Palestine, said that locusts roasted in honey
were quite tasty. I've had a variety of insects at the Universtity of
Illinois annual "Insect Fear Film Festival", originated by the very charming
and witty May Berenbaum (she is now the department head. I knew here when I
was a student member of the campus senate and was on a program reveiw
committe with her. See http://www.life.uiuc.edu/Entomology/egsa/ifff.html
for details. (There is one detail that is wrong, I recall having snacks at
the 1989 Spider festival.)

Old May 18th 04, 07:25 AM
Pat Flannery

Ami Silberman wrote:

Which is pretty funny considering that I'm and atheist with
Unitarian/Universalist leanings. Now, if you replace Rabbit with Rabbi, then
my garden is rapidly becoming a Yeshiva.

I'm a gnostic agnostic; I don't know if there is a god- but if there is,
then the one running Earth is probably a real asshole.

Pat

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM