Panel Urges New Space Telescope

Old January 25th 10, 11:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Panel Urges New Space Telescope

"Although the U.S. won’t be able to meet the
congressionally mandated goal of locating and
cataloging most near-Earth objects 140 meters
across or larger by 2020, it could come close
to that deadline if a new space-based
observatory is dedicated to the task in concert
with a suitable ground-based telescope,
according to a National Academies panel.

The panel’s final report, released Jan. 22,
asserts that the combination of space and
ground-based observation is “the best approach,”
and could complete the survey as early as 2022
if funds are appropriated quickly."

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...&channel=space
Old January 27th 10, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jan 25, 3:54*pm, wrote:
"Although the U.S. won’t be able to meet the
congressionally mandated goal of locating and
cataloging most near-Earth objects 140 meters
across or larger by 2020, it could come close
to that deadline if a new space-based
observatory is dedicated to the task in concert
with a suitable ground-based telescope,
according to a National Academies panel.

The panel’s final report, released Jan. 22,
asserts that the combination of space and
ground-based observation is “the best approach,”
and could complete the survey as early as 2022
if funds are appropriated quickly."

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...s/asd/2010/01/....

Yes, by far the most worthwhile bang for the buck. However, according
to some, we may have only until December 2012, and that's a decade
short of 2022.

~ BG
Old February 1st 10, 04:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Personally, I think the bloom is off the bud when it comes to space telescopes.

If you want do build something new and something cool, I would suggest a
space-based BIG EAR! Something that would let you orbit over any place on
Earth and HEAR what is happening on the ground! Or maybe three BIG EARS
in Geo-sync orbits to cover the entire planet!!!

Think Google EAR! See how seemlessly this fits in with flexible path
and Earth Space Science, and current space policy?

Now THAT'S a CHALLENGE!

;-)

Dave
Old February 2nd 10, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
Personally, I think the bloom is off the bud when it comes to space telescopes.

If you want do build something new and something cool, I would suggest a
space-based BIG EAR! Something that would let you orbit over any place on
Earth and HEAR what is happening on the ground! Or maybe three BIG EARS
in Geo-sync orbits to cover the entire planet!!!

The NSA already has those; huge parabolic dish SIGINT satellites that
can pick up pretty much all radio-based communications on the Earth's
surface: http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/magnum.htm

Pat
Old February 2nd 10, 09:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

The NSA already has those; huge parabolic dish SIGINT satellites that can pick
up pretty much all radio-based communications on the Earth's surface:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/magnum.htm

Eh? Where's the challenge in that? That's so 80's.

I'm talking real-time ground AUDIO.

Or better yet, point it at Mars and let's hear whats happening there...

When is somebody going to think to put a microphone on one of those
surface probes? Let's hear the wind blow... To think we might be missing
out on all those Martian mating calls even today! Horrible!

;-)

Dave
Old February 2nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

David Spain wrote:
Or better yet, point it at Mars and let's hear whats happening there...

When is somebody going to think to put a microphone on one of those
surface probes? Let's hear the wind blow... To think we might be missing
out on all those Martian mating calls even today! Horrible!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/lidar...one/index.html
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/marsmic/
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10...ounds-of-mars/

rick jones
--
the road to hell is paved with business decisions...
Old February 2nd 10, 09:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 2, 1:28 pm, David Spain wrote:
Pat Flannery writes:
The NSA already has those; huge parabolic dish SIGINT satellites that can pick
up pretty much all radio-based communications on the Earth's surface:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/magnum.htm

Eh? Where's the challenge in that? That's so 80's.

I'm talking real-time ground AUDIO.

Or better yet, point it at Mars and let's hear whats happening there...

When is somebody going to think to put a microphone on one of those
surface probes? Let's hear the wind blow... To think we might be missing
out on all those Martian mating calls even today! Horrible!
Dave

We design and build Exterior Audio Recievers (EARs),

http://www.trak4.com/earco/index.html

You can listen to recordings of the Loons (Earthlings) mating by
playing
the sound files at the bottom of the page.
We keep two under test, into a dedicated stereo system, I seriously
enjoy them. Let us know if you want one.
Ken
Old February 3rd 10, 12:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
When is somebody going to think to put a microphone on one of those
surface probes? Let's hear the wind blow... To think we might be missing
out on all those Martian mating calls even today! Horrible!

The crashed Mars Polar Lander had a microphone on it. NASA hyped it up
and was going to have a live feed from it on the web.

Pat
Old February 3rd 10, 01:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10...ounds-of-mars/

I still think that the stuff on the landing legs is the Andromeda Strain.
When NASA showed color images of it, they highlighted it in green.

Pat