Why not "Combat" Model Rocketry?

Old September 18th 09, 06:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Pat Flannery

Default Why not "Combat" Model Rocketry?

Jim wrote:

Sounds like a Kevlar straight jacket might be appropriate

Well, I'll bet you never got into a bottle rocket fight with the girl
across the street when you were both around 15, and saw her jump
straight into the air when one went between her legs at around knee
height. :-D

Pat
Old September 18th 09, 07:04 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
[email protected] |

On Sep 17, 10:01*pm, "jonathan" wrote:
"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message

Trollin' trollin' trollin'

More like reminiscing, didn't everyone like blowing things up
when they were kids?

Gawd..............I can just see a small town police chief
crowing about arresting a terrorist who was obviously planning
an attack.

Throw away that key...................Trig
Old September 18th 09, 07:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Pat Flannery

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Wear Kevlar clothing and a full helmet ?

Not for Cherry Bombs...those accouterments must be reserved for M-80s:
http://www.fireworksland.com/html/m80.html
....the H-Bomb of fireworks. ;-)

Pat

Old September 18th 09, 01:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Wear Kevlar clothing and a full helmet ?

Not for Cherry Bombs...those accouterments must be reserved for M-80s:
http://www.fireworksland.com/html/m80.html
...the H-Bomb of fireworks. ;-)

Pat

I'm beg to differ with this link on two points:

/quote
Before you send me an e-mail message arguing that flash powder is a high
explosive, here is further discussion of that subject. By flash powder, I mean
the chemical composition inside an M-80, which is a mixture of various
substances, including potassium perchlorate. The scientific community defines
a high explosive as one that detonates when unconfined. A low explosive is
defined as one that deflagrates - not detonates - whether confined or
unconfined. The distinction between "detonate" and "deflagrate" is the key
difference here. A low explosive, that deflagrates, generates pressure waves
in the air that are slower than the speed of sound, while a high explosive,
which detonates, generates pressure waves that are higher than the speed of
sound
/endquote

1st point:

Deflagration and detonation refer to the speed of reaction through the
explosive itself, not the blast effect through the air.

'Slow' explosives deflagrate, the reaction progresses through the
material at a speed below the speed of sound through that material.

'Fast' explosives aka superexplosives, allow the reaction to progress
at the theoretical maximum speed, the speed of sound through the
material.

IIRC, black power is an example of a slow explosive, (well explosive
when confined).

Nitroglycerin, PETN and RDX fall in the super-explosive class.

2nd point:
'Generates pressure waves that are higher than the speed of sound?'

Eh?

Dave
Old September 18th 09, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Jim[_23_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
Jim wrote:

Sounds like a Kevlar straight jacket might be appropriate

Well, I'll bet you never got into a bottle rocket fight with the girl
across the street when you were both around 15, and saw her jump
straight into the air when one went between her legs at around knee
height. :-D

Pat

I actually lived in a state where fireworks were illegal so had no
access to them, that is a funny concept though. Now I live in Oklahoma
where you can buy fireworks and see the amount of damage done every
summer via grass fires and pop bottle rockets on wood shingle roofs in
100 degree weather in early July and have developed a bad taste for them
unless handled professionally. The model rocket part is great though,
have flown my share of them when I was a kid.

Jim
Old September 18th 09, 01:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

I never did shoot one at anyone or anything, but I have to 'fess up to putting
a explosive impact-fused warhead on a model rocket to try out the detonation
system for bombs to be carried on a large RC aircraft at a fly-in.
...worked like a charm. :-)
Unfortunately, the actual bombs had such a good aerodynamic form that they
would sail hundreds of feet forward from the drop point, and were almost
impossible to accurately aim at a target on the ground.
Really needed a RC dive bomber for this concept to work, although I did get
production cost down to around twenty-five cents per bomb circa 1976.

I can't get my wife to attend airshows because she's convinced she'll get
killed and now I've got to make sure she never reads this or it will be
curtains for RC fly-ins as well. (Not that she'd *voluntarily* want to
go to an RC fly-in anyway)...

;-)

Dave
Old September 18th 09, 01:58 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

Well, I'll bet you never got into a bottle rocket fight with the girl across
the street when you were both around 15, and saw her jump straight into the
air when one went between her legs at around knee height. :-D

Does anyone else besides me notice how strange the mating rituals get the
further west one lives?

;-)

Dave
Old September 18th 09, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
Unfortunately, the actual bombs had such a good aerodynamic form that
they would sail hundreds of feet forward from the drop point, and were
almost impossible to accurately aim at a target on the ground.

Para-fragmentation... no dive bomber required.

rick jones
--
the road to hell is paved with business decisions...
Old September 18th 09, 06:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

I can't get my wife to attend airshows because she's convinced she'll get
killed and now I've got to make sure she never reads this or it will be
curtains for RC fly-ins as well. (Not that she'd *voluntarily* want to
go to an RC fly-in anyway)...

I've been to a lot of RC fly-ins, and they are a lot more dangerous than
any airshow (unless the Russians show up of course; then it seems you
can count on a MiG or Sukhoi crashing at some point during the display).
The problem is when something goes wrong with the radio, as then you can
end up with a aircraft coming out of the sky at over 50 mph with a
buzz-saw and chunk of metal at the front.
I've had one crash around five feet from me, and another one would have
hit my father if he hadn't used the bottom of his shoe to deflect it as
it came at him at around two feet in the air.

Pat
Old September 18th 09, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
Pat Flannery writes:
Well, I'll bet you never got into a bottle rocket fight with the girl across
the street when you were both around 15, and saw her jump straight into the
air when one went between her legs at around knee height. :-D

Does anyone else besides me notice how strange the mating rituals get the
further west one lives?

The Freudian implications of the incident didn't escape me at the time. :-)

Pat