Outdated? I'll Give You Outdated...

Old February 3rd 10, 05:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

Default Outdated? I'll Give You Outdated...

While I had hoped that a program to return men to the Moon and send
men to Mars would continue, I always had my doubts that G. W. Bush's
space initiative would continue.

But the problem with the Ares booster program seemed to me that it was
underfunded, not that it was outdated. If Obama's new direction is
supposed to be a more solid foundation for going to Mars, does this
mean that we will go using a better Shuttle instead of an old-
fashioned rocket?

But the idea that Ares is outdated has given me an inspiration. I
absolutely agree that if America needs a rocket powerful enough to
send men to Mars - within the context of the improved mission profiles
designed by Zubrin that have made Mars much more reasonable - they
should not spend wastefully in obtaining one.

Obvious strategy.

*Reverse engineer the F1 engine so you can start making Saturn V
boosters again.*

One doesn't have to make an exact copy, i.e. the second stage could
use the SSME or other current rocket designs could be used as the
basis. And, of course, a schedule that doesn't waste money - have the
thing ready in two or three years, should everything go right. Of
course, it won't, and the schedule will slip, but not to an extent
that more than half the money is spent just keeping people around and
busy.

John Savard