NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics project

Old May 11th 04, 09:02 PM
Bootstrap Bill

Default NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics project

NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics project was shut down in January 2003
due to lack of funding. Why can't they look for funding elsewhere, like most
non profit agencies do. Does federal law require that all of NASA's funding
come from the federal budget?

--
"It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
But the man worth while is the man who can smile when

Old May 11th 04, 09:55 PM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:02:00 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Bootstrap
Bill" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics project was shut down in January 2003
due to lack of funding. Why can't they look for funding elsewhere, like most
non profit agencies do. Does federal law require that all of NASA's funding
come from the federal budget?

Yes. If someone wants to fund this privately, they're free to do
so--no need to give money to NASA.
Old May 12th 04, 04:11 AM
MattWriter

Does federal law require that all of NASA's funding
come from the federal budget?

Yes. If someone wants to fund this privately, they're free to do
so--no need to give money to NASA. BRBR

If I understand it correctly, individual Federal agencies cannot accept funding
in grants, loans, or donations: any such money (and there is some left in
people's wills) simply goes into the Treasury.

I worked on a study for MSFC in 2002 on future propulsion options in which we
strongly endorsed what is now Prometheus but pushed to keep funding the BPPP as
well. So much for NASA taking MY advice

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR
Old May 12th 04, 04:29 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
.. .

Yes, Stan Kent learned this the hard way a couple decades ago when he
raised money to try to extend the Viking mission. NASA was happy to
take his money, but could not guarantee that it would be spent in any
particular way.

I thought Congress ended up passing a bill to allow the money to go directly
to Viking in that case?

Old May 12th 04, 04:42 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:29:19 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Yes, Stan Kent learned this the hard way a couple decades ago when he
raised money to try to extend the Viking mission. NASA was happy to
take his money, but could not guarantee that it would be spent in any
particular way.

I thought Congress ended up passing a bill to allow the money to go directly
to Viking in that case?

I don't recall that, but then I don't recall many things from that
era. The point is that if Congress had to pass a law in order to
allow it in a particular case, it must, ipso facto, be illegal.
Old May 12th 04, 04:51 AM
Scott Lowther

Rand Simberg wrote:

I thought Congress ended up passing a bill to allow the money to go directly
to Viking in that case?

I don't recall that, but then I don't recall many things from that
era.

Polyesther poisoning? Did those extra-wide lapels cut off blood flow to
the memory regions of the brain?

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old May 12th 04, 04:58 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:51:33 GMT, in a place far, far away, Scott
Lowther made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

I thought Congress ended up passing a bill to allow the money to go directly
to Viking in that case?

I don't recall that, but then I don't recall many things from that
era.

Polyesther poisoning? Did those extra-wide lapels cut off blood flow to
the memory regions of the brain?

No, I'm just getting old and senile.
Old May 13th 04, 10:38 PM
Bootstrap Bill

"MattWriter" wrote in message
Does federal law require that all of NASA's funding
come from the federal budget?

Yes. If someone wants to fund this privately, they're free to do
so--no need to give money to NASA. BRBR

If I understand it correctly, individual Federal agencies cannot accept

funding
in grants, loans, or donations: any such money (and there is some left in
people's wills) simply goes into the Treasury.

I worked on a study for MSFC in 2002 on future propulsion options in which

we
strongly endorsed what is now Prometheus but pushed to keep funding the

BPPP as
well. So much for NASA taking MY advice

Ok... Could those involved with the project take the results of any research
done so far and form their own non profit agency to continue the research?

Old May 14th 04, 05:58 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:38:18 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Bootstrap
Bill" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Yes. If someone wants to fund this privately, they're free to do
so--no need to give money to NASA. BRBR

If I understand it correctly, individual Federal agencies cannot accept

funding
in grants, loans, or donations: any such money (and there is some left in
people's wills) simply goes into the Treasury.

I worked on a study for MSFC in 2002 on future propulsion options in which

we
strongly endorsed what is now Prometheus but pushed to keep funding the

BPPP as
well. So much for NASA taking MY advice

Ok... Could those involved with the project take the results of any research
done so far and form their own non profit agency to continue the research?

Sure, if they can raise the funds.