Celestron Sky Scout

Old June 5th 06, 09:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Celestron Sky Scout

Any word on this? They are advertising the heck out of this thing in
the magazines, but anyplace you go to buy one says, "pre order" only.
First they said it would be available in March, then April, then May,
now they aren't saying.

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

Old June 5th 06, 12:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

plawler wrote:

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

Details? Who? When? Where?

Old June 5th 06, 01:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

plawler wrote:
Any word on this? They are advertising the heck out of this thing in
the magazines, but anyplace you go to buy one says, "pre order" only.
First they said it would be available in March, then April, then May,
now they aren't saying.

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

At $400 it's over-priced even if it does perform as advertized, IMHO.

My guess is that they will be available for much less in 6-18 months.

Phil
Old June 5th 06, 02:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler wrote:

At $400 it's over-priced even if it does perform as advertized, IMHO.

My guess is that they will be available for much less in 6-18 months.

Phil

Hi.

If it was accurate enough to be placed on an existing
scope setup, and used as a poor mans DSC's, then it would
be worth it. Otherwise no...

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.3 KDE 3.3
Old June 5th 06, 02:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 5 Jun 2006 01:09:12 -0700, "plawler" wrote:

Any word on this? They are advertising the heck out of this thing in
the magazines, but anyplace you go to buy one says, "pre order" only.
First they said it would be available in March, then April, then May,
now they aren't saying.

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

Never read or heard that they have NOT preformed as advertized...
only thing I have heard is of course the delay, and that they are
affected by metal altering the magnetic field. I do not think anyone
is going to duct tape one to a scope and use it as a finder... LOL

Bob G.
Old June 5th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Bob G. wrote:
On 5 Jun 2006 01:09:12 -0700, "plawler" wrote:

Any word on this? They are advertising the heck out of this thing in
the magazines, but anyplace you go to buy one says, "pre order" only.
First they said it would be available in March, then April, then May,
now they aren't saying.

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

Never read or heard that they have NOT preformed as advertized...
only thing I have heard is of course the delay, and that they are
affected by metal altering the magnetic field. I do not think anyone
is going to duct tape one to a scope and use it as a finder... LOL

Agree: Even discounting any accuracy issues, sighting through it on many
scopes could be a real pain in the neck, literally. And Celestron has
not suggested that use.

Phil
Old June 5th 06, 03:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Just speculating.....

What about using it hand held to locate the field to put your telrad on?

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old June 5th 06, 04:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

whowell wrote:
Just speculating.....

What about using it hand held to locate the field to put your telrad on?

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA

$400 accessory for a $40 TELRAD?

There are some great TELRAD targeting books which should be more useful
(and I think the charts are available on line).

Phil
Old June 5th 06, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

RMOLLISE wrote:
plawler wrote:

Rumor has it that the first shipments did NOT perform as advertized.

Details? Who? When? Where?

Hi Rod,

I got this in an e-mail from OPT. "I am sorry to report that though
Celestron did receive their first shipment from the supplier, they did
find that the operation was somewhat problematic. Rather than delivery
such an innovative item that they knew customers would find
unsatisfactory they did send it back to their supplier to be adjusted
and the new delivery date is set for the end of June at the latest..."

Old June 5th 06, 09:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler wrote:

At $400 it's over-priced even if it does perform as advertized, IMHO.

Really? A full on GPS with geomagnetic and tilt sensors overpriced at
$400? I don't think so...

My guess is that they will be available for much less in 6-18 months.

Pretty good guess with almost ANYTHING electronic. ;o)