It was ten years ago today, Pathfinder taught the Martians to play...

Old July 4th 07, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default It was ten years ago today, Pathfinder taught the Martians to play...

....Egads, did a decade pass quickly or what?

* Official NASA Mars Pathfinder Site Index:
http://mpfwww.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/

* Dryden Image Suppository:
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/Pho...der/index.html

* JPL's briefer page:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/pas...athfinder.html

* NASA's briefer page:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ma...der/index.html

* Pathfinder Fact Sheet, with apologies to Rusty:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/fact_sheets/mpf.pdf

* PAO Anniversary Video:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/vid...hfinder320.mov

* CNN's news article:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9707/04/path...nds/index.html

* Imager for Pathfinder:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/imp/index.html

* NSSDC Pathfinder Page:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/mesur.html

* SpaceRef's 5th Anniversary Article:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=493

* ******pedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Pathfinder

* Mike Jones' in-depth on Pathfinder software glitches:
http://research.microsoft.com/~mbj/Mars_Pathfinder/

* Build Your Own Pathfinder Model...which will no doubt result in
theft accusations by Rob Arndt:
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...n/cutouts.html

* VRML of the Sagan Station. Carl would've been proud:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mars/vrml/pathvrml.html

* Planetary Image Atlas based on Pathfinder data:
http://www-pdsimage.jpl.nasa.gov/PDS...frontpage.html

* QTVR of the landing site:
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen3/f2_mars97.html

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old July 4th 07, 01:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

OM wrote:
...Egads, did a decade pass quickly or what?

Damn, dude. You're _right_. Whoa.

I was up at the wife's parents' place at a big pool party and cookout
and when I realized how close it was getting to the expected landing
time...guess who was inside watching the huge color tv in the den,
waiting for the landing announcement and the first images to come
through, while people were outside scarfing burgers, drinking beer and
lounging on innertubes in the pool?

That's right.

Sad.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
Mike's Political Cartoons: dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old July 5th 07, 05:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
John[_3_]

OM

You have been taken in by deceptive project naming *S* . . . the
Pathfinder images you cited being at the Dryden site are pitures of
the solar powered airplane that shared the same name.

There ought'ta be a law . . .

Take care

John

Old July 5th 07, 05:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
John[_3_]

On Jul 5, 12:05 pm, John wrote:
OM

You have been taken in by deceptive project naming *S* . . . the
Pathfinder images you cited being at the Dryden site are pitures of
the solar powered airplane that shared the same name.

There ought'ta be a law . . .

Take care

John

Of course I score no points for spelling . . going to the board to
write "pictures" one hundred times.

This is totally OT but it reminds me of an experience in grade school
where I had misspelled the word "benevolent" Of course when I stayed
after school to do so . . . I misspelled the darn word 100 hundred
times. Honest, I didn't mean to. When the teacher expressed her
(loud) disappointment, I responded by saying that I didn't even know
what the word meant. She replied it meant being kind. The last thing
I remember was asking her why would I use the word "benevolent" when
the word "kind" meant the very same thing . . . I am not quite sure
how long it took for me to recover consciousness.

Take care . . .

JP

Old July 5th 07, 09:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:59:46 -0700, John wrote:

This is totally OT but it reminds me of an experience in grade school
where I had misspelled the word "benevolent" Of course when I stayed
after school to do so . . . I misspelled the darn word 100 hundred
times.

....I had a similar situation in 2nd grade with the Luddite Anti-NASA
bitch I had for my first teacher that year. After I'd written the word
100 times "incorrectly", I looked up the word and showed her that
*she* was the one that was incorrect.

"Argument" only has one "e".

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old July 6th 07, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jonathan

"mike flugennock" wrote in message
ervers.com...
OM wrote:
...Egads, did a decade pass quickly or what?

Damn, dude. You're _right_. Whoa.

I was up at the wife's parents' place at a big pool party and cookout
and when I realized how close it was getting to the expected landing
time...guess who was inside watching the huge color tv in the den,
waiting for the landing announcement and the first images to come
through, while people were outside scarfing burgers, drinking beer and
lounging on innertubes in the pool?

I was visiting my mom, and she made sure
we didn't miss the first pic. She couldn't wait.

When she was a teenager the headlights on
cars were lanterns you had to light with
a match.

That's right.

Sad.

--