Relocate ISS to ME-L1

Old February 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_2_]

Default Relocate ISS to ME-L1

"Brad Guth" wrote in message
news:2a3f1d693cea6125dc30fc81efc3ee21.49644@mygate .mailgate.org

Since moving ISS to MEL1 isn't doable for other than accommodating
onboard robotics or whatever can be made sufficiently rad-hard that's
also a little extra thermally tolerant, then perhaps the following
notion of going for Venus L2 isn't nearly as half baked of an idea, as
for accomplishing such prior to our going for the surface, or at least
in support of utilizing our composite rigid airship for safely cruising
through that toasty environment.

NASA moon base / So let's head straight for the sulfuric acid clouds of
Venus

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...214b5eacf78d99
Bill Haught:
So let's head straight for the sulfuric acid clouds of Venus and
greet those aliens who are no doubt smarter than the stupid apes
on this planet.

First of all, they (ETs or locals) could be nearly exactly like us, just
not as intellectually incest mutated or faith based screwed up, or
perhaps they are exoskeletal evolved Cathars (much like Jesus Christ)
that don't want anything more to do with us.

Venus certainly would represent a much easier quest than doing our moon,
and easier yet for a Bigalow POOF space depot to be deployed into the
VL2 halo pocket (station-keeping) orbit, where it's actually much colder
and otherwise better protected than what our terrestrial orbiting ISS
has to put up with.

However, with a nifty composite spaceplane/airship (aka fat waverider)
as our new and improved shuttle, we could go for Venus and arrive within
a few months of leaving Earth behind, and perhaps taking twice that long
(if ever) for getting back home.

After all, there's no shortage of local energy or raw elements worth
doing whatever with, that is once we get there. So, I agree that we
should drop anything moon or Mars related and essentially head for Venus
in grand style, packing along as much ice cold beer and pizza as there's
room. (the onboard cache of such beer and pizza can be utilized as
radiation shielding, replaced with **** and crapolla from drinking all
of that beer as we eat our way through all of that pizza)
-
Brad Guth