Help on history of the polar diamond ring asterism

Old January 23rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Help on history of the polar diamond ring asterism

Who originated the Polar Diamond Ring asterim? I though I heard
somewhere that it was Burnham?

Periodically, I had heard of the Polar Diamond Ring asterim but was
never quite sure what stars it was composed of. Recently, I ran across
a diagram of this asterim in Berry's HAIP (2005 2ed at 114), and I
prepared a diagram of the asterim in Ciel, with its components labelled
-

http://members.csolutions.net/fisher...iamondRing.JPG

Who originated this asterism? - Canopus56

Old January 23rd 06, 06:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

As far as I know it was Burnham. Phil Harrington has it listed
unofficially in his book "Touring the Universe thru Binoculars" as
"Harrington 1"

Old January 23rd 06, 01:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"canopus56" wrote in message
ups.com...
Who originated the Polar Diamond Ring asterim? I though I heard
somewhere that it was Burnham?

Periodically, I had heard of the Polar Diamond Ring asterim but was
never quite sure what stars it was composed of. Recently, I ran across
a diagram of this asterim in Berry's HAIP (2005 2ed at 114), and I
prepared a diagram of the asterim in Ciel, with its components labelled
-

http://members.csolutions.net/fisher...iamondRing.JPG

Who originated this asterism? - Canopus56

Whar a stupid question. It would take soem kind of space case to come up
with that one.

Old January 23rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

urban astronomer wrote:
As far as I know it was Burnham. Phil Harrington has it listed
unofficially in his book "Touring the Universe thru Binoculars" as
"Harrington 1"

Thanks, urban, TUBA is where I picked it up, but I could not find it in
Burnham's Celestial Handbook. - Canopus56

Old January 24th 06, 04:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

What is the problem EP Guy? If you don't have an answer then don't
respond. It's not a stupid question as it concerns an actual celestial
object (albeit an asterism).

Are you a troll? The question wasn't stupid but your response could
certainly fall into that category.

Old January 26th 06, 01:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"urban astronomer" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the problem EP Guy? If you don't have an answer then don't
respond. It's not a stupid question as it concerns an actual celestial
object (albeit an asterism).

Are you a troll? The question wasn't stupid but your response could
certainly fall into that category.

it looks about as much as a diamond ring as a traffic intersection.

Old January 26th 06, 06:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Are you sure that you even saw it? Given that it is an asterism what
one person sees in the connect-the-dots manner may be in the eye of the
beholder. I have seen it. Polaris is the "diamond" in the ring with
most of the stars being in the 8th to 9th magnetude range if that helps
any. Part of the asterism just overlaps the official boundry into
Cepheus if you are using Cartes du Ciel or a star atlas that goes to
9th mag or more. You will need large binoculars to see it or a
telescope with a low-power wide-field view.

Try giving it another shot. It's not that hard to see if you know what
you're looking for.

Old January 26th 06, 06:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Check out this image:
http://www.manastro.co.uk/members/co...ky/polaris.jpg

Polaris is just above center. The "Diamond ring" is the small faint
circlet of stars joining Polaris just to its right. Now do you see it?

Old January 26th 06, 10:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

urban astronomer wrote:
Check out this image:
http://www.manastro.co.uk/members/co...ky/polaris.jpg
Polaris is just above center. The "Diamond ring" is the small faint
circlet of stars joining Polaris just to its right. Now do you see it?

O, there it is - in the central 2 degs of the 16-20 deg wide photo -
that's pretty obvious. Compare -

http://www.manastro.co.uk/members/co...ky/polaris.jpg
to chart -
http://members.csolutions.net/fisher...iamondRing.JPG

Guess I've been looking to faint through a finder scope all these years
and getting confused by the mag 9-11 stars.

Thanks - Canopus56

Old January 27th 06, 02:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"urban astronomer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Check out this image:
http://www.manastro.co.uk/members/co...ky/polaris.jpg

Polaris is just above center. The "Diamond ring" is the small faint
circlet of stars joining Polaris just to its right. Now do you see it?

I do. Very cool. Thanks.