Trips to M-31 Feasible by End of Decade!

Old January 26th 06, 11:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Trips to M-31 Feasible by End of Decade!

Kooky as it sounds, humans will be visiting M-31 by the end of this
decade, despite our inability to travel at faster-than-light speeds.
How is this possible? Simply because the M-31 I'm referring to here
is *not* the famed galaxy in the direction of Andromeda but rather
a new hotel to be constructed in downtown San Francisco.

A brief mention is made in the latter part of the following article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG54GSUD21.DTL

.... which proves that the hotel's owners are a bit confused as to M-31's
cosmic namesake:

The company [Personality Hotels of Union Square] also plans to break
ground at 80 Ellis St. by late 2007 for a new hotel called M-31, "The
name of the largest star in the galaxy,'' Lembi-Detert said. The
company will need financing for the new property, which is one of the
reasons she hired new CEO Stephen Algood this month, she said.

Notwithstanding their poor celestial classification skills, I applaud
Personality Hotels for choosing the fashionably cryptic name "M-31."
If they had instead adopted "Messier 31," potential guests might
presume mistakenly that the hotel suffers from poor maid service...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich
Old January 27th 06, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I'm reluctant to believe that anyone spending millions of dollars
building something, would end up chosing a name without understanding
what it meant. I rather suspect the reporter got it wrong. OTOH, the
misquote would be inexcusably far off base for a professional reporter
- downright fabricated from fractured memory. Could've been a
freelance nooB?

Chuckle on the maid service note! :-)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:52:32 +0000 (UTC), Mark Gingrich
wrote:

The company [Personality Hotels of Union Square] also plans to break
ground at 80 Ellis St. by late 2007 for a new hotel called M-31, "The
name of the largest star in the galaxy,'' Lembi-Detert said. The
company will need financing for the new property, which is one of the
reasons she hired new CEO Stephen Algood this month, she said.

Notwithstanding their poor celestial classification skills, I applaud
Personality Hotels for choosing the fashionably cryptic name "M-31."
If they had instead adopted "Messier 31," potential guests might
presume mistakenly that the hotel suffers from poor maid service...

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
http://flavorj.com/~skysea
Old January 27th 06, 01:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Mark Gingrich" wrote

Notwithstanding their poor celestial classification skills, I applaud
Personality Hotels for choosing the fashionably cryptic name "M-31."
If they had instead adopted "Messier 31," potential guests might
presume mistakenly that the hotel suffers from poor maid service...

Or that a guest may find a carton of used hockey pucks between the sheets...

Old January 27th 06, 02:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

SkySea wrote:

I'm reluctant to believe that anyone spending millions of dollars
building something, would end up chosing a name without understanding
what it meant. I rather suspect the reporter got it wrong. OTOH, the
misquote would be inexcusably far off base for a professional reporter
- downright fabricated from fractured memory.

Inexcusable? I seldom even get past the front cover of any newspaper
without finding this kind of stupidity. The only time I don't see it
is when every article is about something I know little or nothing
about. I've seen this in many different newspapers in several US
states. Once you get inside the paper, the quality goes downhill. I
once saw a short article about a friend's change in business direction.
I had to read it three times. It bore no resemblance to what was
said, and the last 1/3 of the article was not written, it was just the
reporter's notes verbatim! This was from someone who had been with the
paper for 5 years.

It may be inexcusable, but they are getting away with it all the time.
It's one of the reasons the public (at least in the US) holds
jornalists in lower esteem than used car salesmen.

"Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see," is
still true today.

Could've been a
freelance nooB?

Entirely possible.

Austin

Old January 27th 06, 03:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Howard Lester wrote:
"Mark Gingrich" wrote

Notwithstanding their poor celestial classification skills, I applaud
Personality Hotels for choosing the fashionably cryptic name "M-31."
If they had instead adopted "Messier 31," potential guests might
presume mistakenly that the hotel suffers from poor maid service...

Or that a guest may find a carton of used hockey pucks between the sheets...

Nah, that would be Messier -- 11.

http://www.holdfenyteam.hu/images/items/big/374.jpg

Old January 27th 06, 06:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Mark Gingrich wrote:
[...]

Then there's the UTTER NERVE of Michigan civil engineers, naming state
highways M84, M46, M47, etc.