Saturn, where's the Eskimo?

Old February 15th 05, 03:10 PM
spiral_72

Yea, sure. I would like to take a look at it...... When you get a
chance email it to me. The help is greatly appreciated.
I looked around on the net for an equation to fit my needs, but it
doesn't seem to be that simple. I figure my best bet is figger the FOV
with each eyepiece by timing how long it takes for an object to cross
the view in my scope. That outa get me close. The eyepieces I use are
apparently outdated an' I don't have any data on them.

Email is on my links page at:

my astronomy page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Old February 15th 05, 03:45 PM
Paul Winalski

Your problem with the Andromeda Galaxy is probably that it's so damn
big you can be staring right at it and not know it. In my 14"
Newtonian, M31's core shows up very clearly, but the rest of the
galaxy usually is just a diffuse glow from my light-polluted home.
Under dark skies I can make out the dark lanes between some of the
spiral arms. Both of the nearby companion galaxies are visible
as fuzzy patches of light. It pays to use very low power on these
objects.

-Paul W.

On 14 Feb 2005 12:14:35 -0800, "spiral_72"
wrote:

No kidding? Well, that would explain it. I am going to try to look for
an equation to give me my FOV in degrees for each power. That way
hopefully I can better judge an object's required ....... magnification
or whatever. I have a tough time finding many things. The Andromeda
included.

----------
Remove 'Z' to reply by email.
Old February 15th 05, 06:50 PM
David Nakamoto

Do you have a stutter? ^_^
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

wrote in message
ups.com...
On January 30th i saw Saturn and the Eskimo neb in the same 30x

field with my Tele Vue 76. The neb was just a little fuzzy star
through the 3" scope.

-Florian
===

I think the Eskimo is one of those targets that gets easier the more
often one observes it. I stop buy and check it out most nights. The
other night I was able to recognize it at 14X in a 3 inch F3.7 Newt.

jon

Old February 16th 05, 11:46 AM
Larry Curcio

As of last Saturday, the Eskimo was between Saturn and Wasat.
Perhaps they fit in a 30X FOV with a good EP, but they certainly
didn't share the same FOV in my F6 SCT at 170X. Close,
though.

-Larry Curcio