Don't Sweat the Milky Way Andromeda Merger

Old October 13th 19, 09:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Don't Sweat the Milky Way Andromeda Merger

It is only a merger, NOT a collision.

There will be essentially no actual star ( or anything else ) collisions.

This is due to the relatively miniscule size of stars compared to vast distances between them.

After a few billion years of gravitational interactions, things will have settled down to a single stable resulting galaxy.

Old October 13th 19, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 3:03:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
It is only a merger, NOT a collision.

There will be essentially no actual star ( or anything else ) collisions.

This is due to the relatively miniscule size of stars compared to vast distances between them.

After a few billion years of gravitational interactions, things will have settled down to a single stable resulting galaxy.

See you were planning on living forever after all.
Old October 13th 19, 11:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

After a few billion years of gravitational interactions, things will have settled down to a single stable resulting galaxy.

See you were planning on living forever after all.

Didn't say or imply that I'd be here to see any of this, only that it will happen this way.

Old October 14th 19, 12:12 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 5:43:04 PM UTC-5, casagi.. wrote:

After a few billion years of gravitational interactions, things will have settled down to a single stable resulting galaxy.

See you were planning on living forever after all.

Didn't say or imply that I'd be here to see any of this, only that it will happen this way.

You would not be telling us not to worry about it if you thought none of us

would live to see it.
Old October 14th 19, 03:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

You would not be telling us not to worry about it if you thought none of us

would live to see it.

That's simply not the case. I was only telling everyone to not worry about it NOW.

I wasn't addressing anything in the future although that's also applicable.

Old October 14th 19, 09:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 9:57:11 AM UTC-5, casagi... wrote:

You would not be telling us not to worry about it if you thought none of us

would live to see it.

That's simply not the case. I was only telling everyone to not worry about it NOW.

I wasn't addressing anything in the future although that's also applicable.

I'm not trying to play word games, but what is the point of telling people not to worry about the arrival of Andromeda if there is not a chance they will witness it?
Old October 14th 19, 10:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

=20I'm=20not=20trying=20to=20play=20word=20games, =20but=20what=20=

is=20the=20point=20of=20telling=20people=20not=20t o=20worry=20abou=
t=20=20the=20arrival=20of=20Andromeda=20if=20ther e=20is=20not=20a=
=20chance=20they=20will=20witness=20it?

Well=20that's=20plain=20ridiculous.

Referencing=20and=20discussing=20things=20that=20w ill=20occur=20fa=
r=20in=20the=20future,=20well=20beyond=20the=20tim e=20that=20anyon=
e=20here=20now=20will=20have=20any=20chance=20to=2 0see=20them,=20h=
as=20always=20been=20a=20useful=20part=20of=20any= 20discussion=20o=
r=20analysis.

Can't=20believe=20you=20actually=20said=20that.

Old October 15th 19, 08:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 4:18:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I'm not trying to play word games, but what is the point of telling people not to worry about the arrival of Andromeda if there is not a chance they will witness it?

Well that's plain ridiculous.

Referencing and discussing things that will occur far in the future, well beyond the time that anyone here now will have any chance to see them, has always been a useful part of any discussion or analysis.

Can't believe you actually said that.

You are clearly not in touch with what you are saying. No one stays an

atheist forever.
Old October 15th 19, 08:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

You are clearly not in touch with what you are saying. No one stays an

atheist forever.

None of that is true.