Greek Diagrams of our Solar System

Old September 15th 04, 07:45 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Greek Diagrams of our Solar System

Greetings,

I'm looking for any kind of ancient Greek diagrams which show the
Greek names of the "seven heavenly objects" and other bodies in our
solar system which are depicted in the following diagram:

http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

Are there similar ancient Greek diagrams which show the names
of the planets in Greek, in the same "earth-centered" model
of our universe?

I would appreciate any links anyone can provide...

I'm curious what modern Greek-speaking people call the planet
most of us call Jupiter. Do they still refer to it as Zeus, or
Zeus-pater, perhaps?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
Old September 22nd 04, 11:58 AM
Painius

"Elroy Willis" wrote in message...

Greetings,

I'm looking for any kind of ancient Greek diagrams which show the
Greek names of the "seven heavenly objects" and other bodies in our
solar system which are depicted in the following diagram:

http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

Are there similar ancient Greek diagrams which show the names
of the planets in Greek, in the same "earth-centered" model
of our universe?

I would appreciate any links anyone can provide...

'Lo Elroy --

This probably isn't what you need, but for those who might
want those Greek names, check the following...

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0210....htm?tqskip1=1

This link might be closer to what you need...

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/PtolemyAstronomy.htm

It's the closest i could come after an extensive web search.

This one was interesting also...

http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/starry/ptolarmill.html

I'm curious what modern Greek-speaking people call the planet
most of us call Jupiter. Do they still refer to it as Zeus, or
Zeus-pater, perhaps?

or Zeupiter? (g French, i believe)

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
http://www.eapnews.com

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Planets, stars and nebulae
Hold attention in the sky--

Paine http://www.painellsworth.net

Old September 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Elroy The ancient Greeks used a lot of common sense. They had the
Earth as a sphere.,and it sat still at the center of the universe,and
sun,moon,planets,and stars circled about it.(they appear to do so) Today
we know why(Earth rotates) Plato was a great thinker,and told the sphere
can contain the most volume within a surface area. going back to
Aristotle(philosopher) Eudoxus astronomer,and I can't leave out Ptolemya
very abstract thinker) He made people think. It was a Greek astronomer
when asked by his student how many Earth's could fit inside the distance
from Earth to the moon he answered 30. That happened over 2200 years
ago. (go figure) Bert

Old September 23rd 04, 12:26 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A Thanks it was Hipparchus that figured out the distance.(I
could not think of his name.) Thanks also for showing how Hipparchus
found how to do it using the shadow on the moon. These Greek thinkers
must have had great pride in their ability to think,and teach their
thinking to others. I had friends like that,and that is one of the
reasons I miss them so much. Bert