Leaf Obstruction

Old November 4th 03, 01:01 PM
Tony

Default Leaf Obstruction

Well I dont do much observing in the summer months (better things to do and it
gets dark too late for me) so its been a while for me. Last night I set the
90mm refractor outside and left it out there a half hour or so. First target -
Mars. Shockingly dim. Whats up with this I thought so I swung it to the nearby
moon. Dim and brownish looking and not a hint of purple color at all. Took the
EP's and diagonal inside for inspection - nothing. Thought about bringing out a
larger scope but decided to call it a night. Carried the scope and tripod in
together and as I'm leaning it under the patio door out comes a crisp brown
leaf from inside the dew shield. As it was raining leaves around me you would
think I would have thought of the possibility. Do they make a leaf shield for
telescopes like the things for gutters?

Tony
Old November 5th 03, 06:33 AM
Alan W. Craft

On 04 Nov 2003 12:01:15 GMT, obs (Tony) wrote:

Well I dont do much observing in the summer months (better things to do...

There's simply never anything better to do than to celestially-observe.
Why, even sex, a very close runner-up, is often conducted in conjunction,
rather than en lieu.

...and it gets dark too late for me) so its been a while for me. Last night I set the
90mm refractor outside and left it out there a half hour or so. First target - Mars.
Shockingly dim. Whats up with this I thought so I swung it to the nearby
moon. Dim and brownish looking and not a hint of purple color at all. Took the
EP's and diagonal inside for inspection - nothing. Thought about bringing out a
larger scope but decided to call it a night. Carried the scope and tripod in
together and as I'm leaning it under the patio door out comes a crisp brown
leaf from inside the dew shield. As it was raining leaves around me you would
think I would have thought of the possibility. Do they make a leaf shield for
telescopes like the things for gutters?

I have the very solution in my mind's eye: half of a dew shield, and not
unlike a single traffic light glare shield, as you simply want the upper part of
the original dew shield's opening to extend past the lower part at every
elevation. Of course, such would not necessarily remedy the situation
given an equatorially-mounted refractor. Still...

You might engineer it quite easily, I would think.

Alan