ASTRO: Comet Holmes in colour

Old October 28th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Comet Holmes in colour

This is a pure RGB of Comet Holmes. As in Rick's image the comet looks
yellow. I would have preferred it to be green or blue ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/6.5 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 6x15 seconds each for RGB.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HolmesColourgut.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1385

Old October 29th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"RedShift42" wrote
Are the 2 objects to the right background stars or has the comet been
split?

I just looked on TheSky and the comet is almost on top of a 8th mag star.
That must be what's in Stefan's image.

Comet Holmes is moving almost directly away from us. Perhaps the
difference between the position of the coma and the bright nucleus is a
result of perspective? Any tail would be pointing almost directly away, and
would thus never appear very long to us.

George N

Old October 29th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Great image Stefan! Yours is the first one that shows the very dim outer
envelope that I just saw in my 20x80 binoculars until the moon came up and
brightened the sky too much to see it. The outer envelop was about a third
the diameter of the moon.

To make this an appropriately spooky observation, the moon came up into a
low cloud bank and I had dueling coyote packs howling east and west of me!

George N

Old October 29th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
"Stefan Lilge" wrote:

This is a pure RGB of Comet Holmes. As in Rick's image the comet looks
yellow. I would have preferred it to be green or blue ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/6.5 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 6x15 seconds each for RGB.

Stefan
[Image]

Are the two smaller bright spots in the centre background stars? I'm
taking the larger, slightly fuzzier spot (which looks yellow on one
side, magenta-fringed on the other) to be the comet's nucleus.

--
Odysseus
Old October 29th 07, 03:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Great image Stefan! Yours is the first one that shows the very dim outer
envelope that I just saw in my 20x80 binoculars until the moon came up and
brightened the sky too much to see it. The outer envelop was about a third
the diameter of the moon.

To make this an appropriately spooky observation, the moon came up into a
low cloud bank and I had dueling coyote packs howling east and west of me!

George N

There have been many showing the dim outer envelope that Stefan shows.
Sounds like you are missing a lot of posts. Check:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/webrings/astro.html

The bright star in Stefan's shot is the nucleus, the other two field stars.

I'm working on a movie of it if the dang clouds will let me.

Rick

Old October 30th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

George, I am quite happy not having to fight off coyotes while imaging. They
are quite scarce around here ;-)

Stefab

Old October 30th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Yep, the fuzzy one is the (false) nucleus, the others are only stars.
Although this is a slow moving comet I clearly could see it moving along
those two stars in the course of the evening. Of course I would have liked
to image something like the split-up of Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 (you got to
love that name ;-)

Stefan

"Odysseus" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news