....Global Warming and our Future

Old April 1st 06, 02:19 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Default ....Global Warming and our Future

An end to Nations, and the rise of City-States.

In my home of South Florida, the last hurricane
season gave us a glimpse of the future.

Hurricane Katrina and Wilma, like a good one-two
punch, roared directly over my house one after
the other. These two hurricanes were ....literally...
an order of magnitude...ten times...larger than any
landfalling hurricanes ever witnessed on this
half of the planet. Ever!

Katrina for the gulf coast, and Wilma for S Florida
were so large in size that trying to evacuate from
their path was foolish.

They were too big to run from.

So now S Florida has decided to take action.
They are now beggining to require generators
at supermarkets and gas stations. A sensible
precaution it would seem. But this foreshadows
something far more dramatic. That no longer
can we depend on society at large for our
sustenance, but that each local community
must be prepared to fend for itself.

This foreshadows that extremes in weather
and our environment are no longer the
occassional disasters, but will become a
way of life.

We will someday have to live in storm-proof
cities, islands of survival, isolated and uncaring
for the cities nearby.

Jonathan

Old April 1st 06, 02:44 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

futher all buildings with elevators should be required to have a
generator big enough to get stuck cars down at least one at a time.

I kinda wonder if we have another KILLER hurricane season if bush &
company will get their head out of the sand about global warming.

one thing the disasters showed the feds are incapable of doing much and
really care more about appearances than results.

not only should communities prepare but so should individals.

imagine a terrorist attack of any size on the US.

the government is a waste when we need it the most

That brings the question of new orleans, no mass rebuilding has
occured, many neighborhoods look like the flood just occured.

although I DONT like big government spending if we can spend trillions
for iraq we should rebuild the homes in new orleans or relocate the
residents permanetely turning the low elevation areas into permanent
parks, or raising the elevation of these areas with dirt brought in by
rail.

if people lose trust in government, we run the risk of losing all the
good the country is

Old April 1st 06, 05:19 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

" wrote:

:I kinda wonder if we have another KILLER hurricane season if bush &
:company will get their head out of the sand about global warming.

Nobody who actually knows anything think there is any connection
between the two. The amount of 'global warming' the theory predicts
leads to something like a 1-2 knot wind change in hurricanes.

:That brings the question of new orleans, no mass rebuilding has
ccured, many neighborhoods look like the flood just occured.

Probably because many of those neighborhoods should not be rebuilt.

:although I DONT like big government spending if we can spend trillions
:for iraq

We haven't.

:we should rebuild the homes in new orleans or relocate the
:residents permanetely

That's sort of their choice and not ours, isn't it?

:turning the low elevation areas into permanent
arks, or raising the elevation of these areas with dirt brought in by
:rail.

Go work out how much dirt that is.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old April 1st 06, 06:02 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

NASA scientists are very concerned but whitehouse attempted to silence
them. The risk of doing nothing is too great.

on rebuilding new orleans the corps of engineers didnt properly
maintain the levees, note thats a federal dept. If private industry
screws up they or their insurance pays for making people whole. The
people are poor and had little to begin with now have zip The feds
should rebuild for the have nots.

iraq costs both direct bombs and such and indirect lifetime for
physical and mental troubles for both combanants and their familys
parentless kids will far exceed the monthly budget today.

we and our kids will be paying the $ costs for a lifetime...

Old April 1st 06, 06:39 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Probably because many of those neighborhoods should not be rebuilt.

As a taxpayer, I have a problem with government flood insurance. The
premiums collected don't come close to matching the losses paid. The
government should not be in the business of providing flood insurance. Get a
commercial provider or go without. What is the Constitutional basis for
government flood insurance?

:we should rebuild the homes in new orleans or relocate the
:residents permanetely

That's sort of their choice and not ours, isn't it?

That's the point, ain't it? The Federal government is not our mommie, and
*should not* be providing relocation funds. At best, it should be providing
aid and assistance to the states, and let the states determine where the
need is most. That way, the government wouldn't be paying for ice sitting in
storage and unused trailers.

:turning the low elevation areas into permanent
arks, or raising the elevation of these areas with dirt brought in by
:rail.

Go work out how much dirt that is.

He can't- he's still busy trying to find that evidence he promised long ago
to show that, had NASA management had the meetings he insists that policy
said they should have had, even though those involved said it would have
been pointless, the events of Columbia *would have* ended up differently.
Three years and still waiting for him to keep his promise.

Old April 1st 06, 07:00 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

jonathan wrote:

An end to Nations, and the rise of City-States.

In my home of South Florida, the last hurricane
season gave us a glimpse of the future.

Global Warming... I don't care about Global Warming.
People will adapt. If they won't adapt, they will die.
There will always be people.
Old April 1st 06, 07:39 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

" wrote:

Leave some context, dumb****.

:NASA scientists are very concerned but whitehouse attempted to silence
:them. The risk of doing nothing is too great.

NOAA, who are the professionals at this sort of thing, have said that
trying to connect the hurricane season to global warming at this stage
is merely preposterous. The energy difference simply isn't all that
great from year to year.

n rebuilding new orleans the corps of engineers didnt properly
:maintain the levees, note thats a federal dept.

I'd suggest more research on your part.

:If private industry
:screws up they or their insurance pays for making people whole. The
eople are poor and had little to begin with now have zip The feds
:should rebuild for the have nots.

How much money have you sent? Why aren't you down there as a
volunteer rebuilding? Are you so stupid that you think something of
this magnitude happens with a wave of the magic wand?

:iraq costs both direct bombs and such and indirect lifetime for
hysical and mental troubles for both combanants and their familys
arentless kids will far exceed the monthly budget today.
:
:we and our kids will be paying the $ costs for a lifetime...

Your number was still stupidly inflated. If you want to take a
position, try learning some facts first.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

jonathan wrote:

An end to Nations, and the rise of City-States.

In my home of South Florida, the last hurricane
season gave us a glimpse of the future.

Actually, the glimpse of the future of South Florida lay in the 9th Ward
of New Orleans. Mickey Mouse learns to swim, or drowns.

There won't be any Florida 'city-states' to survive without aqualungs.
Miami needs to consider Venice Italy to see the future.
Old April 1st 06, 08:36 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

"Jo Schaper" wrote in message
jonathan wrote:

An end to Nations, and the rise of City-States.

In my home of South Florida, the last hurricane
season gave us a glimpse of the future.

Actually, the glimpse of the future of South Florida lay in the 9th Ward
of New Orleans. Mickey Mouse learns to swim, or drowns.

There won't be any Florida 'city-states' to survive without aqualungs.
Miami needs to consider Venice Italy to see the future.

We are about 3 inches about sea level here.
I'm wondering if Miami ends up being the next Atlantis~

Old April 1st 06, 09:12 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Brian Thorn a écrit :
Katrina was so disastrous because
the people of New Orleans, well, to put it undelicately, they were
idiots and the government was worse. Living below sea level a few
miles from the sea, what the frell did they think would happen?

Always blame the victims. They should have known better isn't it?

This makes easier to forget them. THEY are the fools. There is no global
warming, no other problems that those "idiots" living there since a few
centuries.

Yeah, of course Mr Thorn.

They are the idiots. You are surely not one.