Domain name expiration

Old February 7th 05, 12:21 PM
Dave Jessie

Default Domain name expiration

Group,

Our astronomy club recently got a notice that our domain name is about to
expire. What's a reasonable and customary fee for domain name registration?

Dave Jessie

Old February 7th 05, 12:54 PM
Hilton Evans

"Dave Jessie" wrote in message ...
Group,

Our astronomy club recently got a notice that our domain name is about to
expire. What's a reasonable and customary fee for domain name registration?

Dave Jessie

I registered through Doteasy http://www.doteasy.com/Services/DomainNameRegistration/
for $90 for five years. It includes 100Mb space and 1Gb
data transfer per month. Of course I don't do
anything fancy e.g. hosting web- or appserver.

--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software
Old February 7th 05, 12:58 PM
Impact9

How much are you paying per month for your server? There are several
providers that will register your domain free and host your site for
under $10 a month. I went with yahoo website services for $11.95 since
they are huge and I get 2 Gig of storage and 25G transfer a month.
Only had them go down 1 or 2 times in the 5 or so years since I been
with them. If your happy where you are, do some google searchs for
domain registration. What I am seeing is the longer you register for
the cheaper per year it is. Don't pay over $35 per single year though.

Old February 7th 05, 01:11 PM
Impact9

Oh something else. There are quite a few scams behind domain renewals.
Go with someone that you know or can be verified.

Old February 7th 05, 03:41 PM
Les Blalock

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:21:30 GMT, "Dave Jessie"
wrote:

Group,

Our astronomy club recently got a notice that our domain name is about to
expire. What's a reasonable and customary fee for domain name registration?

Dave Jessie

I use GoDaddy.com - about $9 per year.

Note though, that you'll have to get the registration transferred from
your present registrar and it might not be easy/quick (if you're not
the administrator). Might have to stick with the current registrar
one more year and make the transfer earlier next time.

Les Blalock
http://www.txastro.com
Old February 7th 05, 03:44 PM
Dave Jessie

Thanks for the quick replies!
The price we've been quoted for renewing for five years apparently isn't
that bad. So, in light of Les' reply, we'll probably just renew with the
current holder for the five year term. I'll post the outcome when we decide
at the next meeting.

Thanks again!

Dave Jessie

Old February 7th 05, 04:02 PM
Davoud

Dave Jessie:
Our astronomy club recently got a notice that our domain name is about to
expire. What's a reasonable and customary fee for domain name registration?

I have used hostway.com for registration and hosting for over five
years. They offer competetive pricing and absolute reliability.

I would avoid free services -- Yahoo, for example, will place
adult-dating ads on your web site. I'm no prude, but I think that the
ads placed by Yahoo and others are out of place on a family-safe web
site.

Davoud
Old February 7th 05, 06:17 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Impact9 wrote:
How much are you paying per month for your server? There are several
providers that will register your domain free and host your site for
under $10 a month. I went with yahoo website services for $11.95 since
they are huge and I get 2 Gig of storage and 25G transfer a month.
Only had them go down 1 or 2 times in the 5 or so years since I been
with them. If your happy where you are, do some google searchs for
domain registration. What I am seeing is the longer you register for
the cheaper per year it is. Don't pay over $35 per single year though.

The cheapest _decent_ hosting I've found so far is with
globedomain.com. They provide a number of plans, the cheapest
one starting at $2.25 per YEAR (10MB space + 100MB transfer per
month) to $31.50 per year (1G space + 10G transfer). No setup
fees, nothing. The registration of the domain costs just $10
per year.

I opened a domain with them about two weeks ago, and so far
they provided excellent service.

Sorry if this sounds like advertisement - I'm just happy with
the customer service of these guys and I think they deserve
someone say a good word of them. Other than having my domain
hosted, I'm not affiliated to them.

Regards,

- Alex
Old February 7th 05, 07:50 PM
Mark C. Farrington

Impact9 wrote:
How much are you paying per month for your server? There are several
providers that will register your domain free and host your site for
under $10 a month. I went with yahoo website services for $11.95 since
they are huge and I get 2 Gig of storage and 25G transfer a month.
Only had them go down 1 or 2 times in the 5 or so years since I been
with them. If your happy where you are, do some google searchs for
domain registration. What I am seeing is the longer you register for
the cheaper per year it is. Don't pay over $35 per single year though.

Just a heads up for something to look for with domain registration.

Some of the cheap or "free" registrars the set up a domain as part of a
hosting package register the domain in their name so they own it and not
you. I've known people that were leveraged into hosting packages they
didn't really want because they had no choice in taking the domain name
to another host.

Just as a precaution, I always purchase my domain first seperately
before deciding on a host.
--
Mark C. Farrington
http://stellar.heroeshideaway.com
Old February 8th 05, 02:20 AM
Joe S.

Check out godaddy.com. I forget the rates but I registered all three of my
domains with them and save a bundle over previous registrant.

You may have seen their Super Bowl ad.
--

-----
Joe S.