Blue Origin on Monster...

Old May 22nd 04, 07:12 AM
Scott Lowther

Default Blue Origin on Monster...

Well, they're advertising for various flight-vehicle-relevant
positions...

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old May 22nd 04, 07:13 AM
Scott Lowther

Scott Lowther wrote:

Well, they're advertising for various flight-vehicle-relevant
positions...

A P.S. to that: "Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national,
permanent resident, refugee or asylee."

That covers just about the entire planetary population....

Old May 22nd 04, 04:33 PM
Scott Lowther

Ian Stirling wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:

Well, they're advertising for various flight-vehicle-relevant
positions...

A P.S. to that: "Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national,
permanent resident, refugee or asylee."

That covers just about the entire planetary population....

Not me.

You're a mere airplane flight away from being a refuge.

Old May 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Ian Stirling

Scott Lowther wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:

Well, they're advertising for various flight-vehicle-relevant
positions...

A P.S. to that: "Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national,
permanent resident, refugee or asylee."

That covers just about the entire planetary population....

Not me.

You're a mere airplane flight away from being a refuge.

I don't think the US accepts refugees from Scotland.

Old May 22nd 04, 07:30 PM
George William Herbert

Ian Stirling wrote:
You're a mere airplane flight away from being a refuge.

I don't think the US accepts refugees from Scotland.

"In what way do you fear persecution if you return to your homeland?"

"Have ye ever eaten Scottish food?"

*stamp* "Approved..."

[Appologies to one branch of my ancestors... at least your
single malt whisky is superb]

-george william herbert

Old May 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
Ian Stirling

George William Herbert wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
You're a mere airplane flight away from being a refuge.

I don't think the US accepts refugees from Scotland.

"In what way do you fear persecution if you return to your homeland?"

"Have ye ever eaten Scottish food?"

*stamp* "Approved..."

Lovely beef (some visible from the window I sit typing near (in the
unprocessed state), Rasperries a few months off ripening, nice
potatos just starting to grow, ...

There is admittedly some really terrible food out there.
Deep fried Mars Bar for example.
Take a chocolate bar.
Add batter.
Deep fry till golden brown.

Not a diet food.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:35 PM
Scott Lowther

Ian Stirling wrote:
You're a mere airplane flight away from being a refuge.

I don't think the US accepts refugees from Scotland.

"In what way do you fear persecution if you return to your homeland?"

"Have ye ever eaten Scottish food?"

*stamp* "Approved..."

Lovely beef (some visible from the window I sit typing near (in the
unprocessed state)

Is it *mad*?

Rasperries a few months off ripening, nice
potatos just starting to grow, ...

Sheep preparing to donate their stomaches...

Uuurrrrrp.....

There is admittedly some really terrible food out there.
Deep fried Mars Bar for example.
Take a chocolate bar.
Add batter.
Deep fry till golden brown.

That... doesn't even sound *possible*. Wouldn't the Mars bar turn into
liquid in the process?

In any event, this is all somewhat beside the point. Refugee status in
the US is easy to be had these days... things are so friggen' PC that
virtually all ya gotta do is claim that people Back Home will laugh at
you and hurt your feelings (sure, here in the States you can claim "It's
not a skirt, it's a kilt," but the Highlanders know it's jsut a
miniskirt with duct- and electrical-tape plaid patterns on it); better
yet, claim that any attempt at deporting you is out and out racism, and
the ACLU will come a-runnin.'

Old May 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
Ian Kaplan

Scott Lowther ) wrote:

In any event, this is all somewhat beside the point. Refugee status in
the US is easy to be had these days...

Among many other ways in which this is untrue, there is an absolute cap on
the number of refugees allowed in the US per year. (There are some specific
exemptions to the cap.) It's currently at 70,000, which a glance at the
newspaper most mornings will demonstrate is a pretty small number compared
to the number of clearly legitimate refugees out there, the standard figure
for that being around 15 million. It's also a 25-year low, arguably longer
because an ever-lengthening list of obstacles is preventing some of that
70,000 from using their status.

But you probably didn't mean refugee status; you meant asylum status. It's
quite difficult to apply for refugee status from outside the U.S., so the
typical refugee ends up in INS detention while awaiting an asylum ruling.
INS jail is not typically described as "easy"; some indications of this can
be found in the massive reforms the INS undertook in 2001: "Detainees may
practice their religion... Detainees will not be strip-searched without
reasonable suspicion..." Thanks, guys!

The acceptance rate for asylum petitions varies pretty widely year-to-year
over the last couple of decades, but it isn't outside the usual range now.
The absolute number accepted is up, mostly because they've gotten the
processing time down from "ludicrous" to "pretty bad". Your odds of getting
accepted in 2002 were 36%. I think it's difficult to argue that that's
"easy".

--
"Pho... Phonimic? PHO-ne-mic? phone... Get this- I'm a college professor!!"
--Linda Bracewell
Old May 23rd 04, 04:49 AM
Hop David

Scott Lowther wrote:

There is admittedly some really terrible food out there.
Deep fried Mars Bar for example.
Take a chocolate bar.
Add batter.
Deep fry till golden brown.

That... doesn't even sound *possible*. Wouldn't the Mars bar turn into
liquid in the process?

In my neck of the woods fried ice cream is a popular desert. It's quite
good, IMHO.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html