Lamination as a tool for distinguishing microbial and metazoan biosystems

Old December 3rd 04, 01:00 PM
Aidan Karley

In article , Jo Schaper wrote:
Come to the Midwest, where 60-65% of the
population is trapped in a pre-scientific post Protestant revolution
mindset 300 years old, with increasing evidence (per the last election)
they would prefer a conservative theocracy in which the world is black
and white, the rules are simple, and all deviation from their norm is
obliterated or expelled.

Gideon?

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Old December 3rd 04, 08:55 PM
Jo Schaper

Aidan Karley wrote:

In article , Jonathan wrote:

since the system specific details are not
available to us in a usable way

Is it possible that you think the system specific details are
provided in a usable way, but you're not able to understand them
because you want to look

from the largest scale and ends
with the small scale details last

Wanting to ignore the details may be fine in rec.arts.poetry. It
doesn't work in science. If you want to talk about the poetry of
Martian life, then there's one group for that; if you want to talk
about the science of understanding the details of the images returned
by the engineered artefacts on Mars, there's another group.
(Cross-posting preserved, for a change, because this might be of
some interest to people in the poetry group. Please trim your replies
to the relevant group. If I wanted to pay attention to poetry I'd
subscribe to the poetry groups instead of listening to it on the radio
once per week.)

Ignoring details in poetry doesn't work either. Poetry is the art of
details--"He gives his harness bells a shake/To ask if there is some
mistake/The only other sound's the sweep/Of easy wind and downy flake."
Robert Frost.

"Faces in the Metro/petals on a wet, black bough." -- Ezra Pound

OR from Jonathan's truelove: "I heard a fly buzz when I died" "There is
no frigate like a book".
How about the quote attributed to Mark Twain: "The difference between
the right word and the almost right word is the same as that between
lightning and lightning bug."

Much BAD poetry generalizes sloppily about love, war, mother, death,
valor, truth, etc. ad nauseum. But good poetry evokes specific emotion
through precise and captivating images.

Jo (both published poet and published scientist)
Old December 3rd 04, 11:54 PM
D Schneider

Aidan Karley appended the sig:

Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,
Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

If that 3rd value is the elevation, what units is it in? Is there space
for visiting boats at your dock?

I think Aberdeen is where I tried to convince my brother to get off the
train and see some town in the hour before the next train, but no, we had
to rush off to Edinburgh.

/dps

Old December 6th 04, 07:00 PM
Aidan Karley

In article opsigh0mtdemtzlb@d3h1pn11, D Schneider wrote:
If that 3rd value is the elevation, what units is it in? Is there space
for visiting boats at your dock?

Seconds.

I think Aberdeen is where I tried to convince my brother to get off the
train and see some town in the hour before the next train,

The station is next to the harbour. Both are in the red light
district. You can catch a lot of interesting life in an hour.

Old December 7th 04, 02:42 AM
D Schneider

Aidan Karley wrote:

In article opsigh0mtdemtzlb@d3h1pn11, D Schneider wrote:
If that 3rd value is the elevation, what units is it in? Is there space
for visiting boats at your dock?

Seconds.

hmmmm

I think Aberdeen is where I tried to convince my brother to get off the
train and see some town in the hour before the next train,

The station is next to the harbour. Both are in the red light
district. You can catch a lot of interesting life in an hour.

I'd have been satisfied with just a couple shops -- but now I'll have to
come back to catalog flora and fauna. And maybe rose and katherine.

/dps