Lens Construction

Old November 12th 03, 06:03 AM
John

Default Lens Construction

Hi all. If we make a lense shape bottle with clean water inside
is it working as lense ? 30 or 50 inches lets say ?
Old November 12th 03, 02:38 PM
Michael A. Covington

"John" wrote in message
Hi all. If we make a lense shape bottle with clean water inside
is it working as lense ? 30 or 50 inches lets say ?

Yes... there are telescope lenses with an oil element between glass
elements.

Old November 12th 03, 04:11 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:38:13 -0500, "Michael A. Covington" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Hi all. If we make a lense shape bottle with clean water inside
is it working as lense ? 30 or 50 inches lets say ?

Yes... there are telescope lenses with an oil element between glass
elements.

...and disturbingly so.

Give me air!

Alan
Old November 14th 03, 12:10 AM
lal_truckee

Chris L Peterson wrote:

Every year, forest fires get started by sunlight focused onto flammable
materials by glass, sometimes liquid filled.

documentation? sounds like we've got an elderly spouse of the female
persuasion relating this bit of lore ...

Old November 14th 03, 04:02 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:10:18 -0800, lal_truckee wrote:

documentation? sounds like we've got an elderly spouse of the female
persuasion relating this bit of lore ...

No, I've just heard this. But I did quite easily start some leaves burning with
a glass of water once, so it can definitely be done.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 14th 03, 08:38 AM
Martin Brown

In message , lal_truckee
writes
Chris L Peterson wrote:

Every year, forest fires get started by sunlight focused onto flammable
materials by glass, sometimes liquid filled.

documentation? sounds like we've got an elderly spouse of the female
persuasion relating this bit of lore ...

Real enough. Clear desk ornaments like paperweights in direct sunlight
can do it too. This happened once at my wife's office.

Moorland fires round here are not uncommon and some do appear to have
started from crude glass lenses. Typically water filled convex bits of
broken bottle. But the water is long gone when the fire investigators
arrive. The incidence of moorland fires always picks up suddenly in
spring the first clear day there is some decent power in the sun.

I don't know about forest fires though - seems tricky to get enough
light in there.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old November 12th 03, 07:32 PM
Chuck Taylor

"John" wrote in message
Hi all. If we make a lense shape bottle with clean water inside
is it working as lense ? 30 or 50 inches lets say ?

Sure. Any particular reason you want to?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old November 13th 03, 07:21 AM
John

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:32:33 -0800, "Chuck Taylor"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Hi all. If we make a lense shape bottle with clean water inside
is it working as lense ? 30 or 50 inches lets say ?

Sure. Any particular reason you want to?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

I think is obviously cheap lenses for creation of big cheap =
telescopes !
Mass production of these empty lenses,like bottles, you just put water
or other more clean liquid inside and vuala

Old November 13th 03, 11:49 AM
Jon Isaacs

I think is obviously cheap lenses for creation of big cheap =
telescopes !
Mass production of these empty lenses,like bottles, you just put water
or other more clean liquid inside and vuala

What, you drink the water while observing through a real lens?? Is that the
plan?

A lens shaped water bottle, not a bad idea..

jon