Huygens Camera?

Old July 10th 04, 05:43 PM
ChrisV01

Default Huygens Camera?

I recall reading on the Cassini website that Huygens has a camera on it. Will
this be used to send images back to Cassini and then Earth? I've also heard it
will not return pictures to earth. Which is true?

Thanks
Old July 12th 04, 01:08 AM
Christopher M. Jones

ChrisV01 wrote:
I recall reading on the Cassini website that Huygens has a camera on it. Will
this be used to send images back to Cassini and then Earth? I've also heard it
will not return pictures to earth. Which is true?

It will return pictures, to Earth via Cassini. The
descent through Titan's atmosphere will last about
2-2.5 hours, all the while the probe will be sampling
the atmosphere's composition, taking pictures of the
ground and the horizon, and gathering other data.
It has the capability to survive a landing on the
ground or in a lake/sea/ocean of hydrocarbons so we
might get a few pictures from the surface.