hard drive @ 30,000ft

Old May 22nd 06, 02:43 PM posted to sci.space.tech

Default hard drive @ 30,000ft

I had posted awhile back looking for a laptop and hard drive that could
work at 30,000ft. I found a suitable hard drive at
www.mt-optech.com.....just wanted to post in case anyone else ever ran
into the same problem. There might also be an issue with the LCD
screen in the laptop working at 30000ft and that's the next thing I
have to look into. Fortunately we don't have an aggressive schedule on
this project.

Old June 3rd 06, 11:55 PM posted to sci.space.tech

Hello there.
I don't understand really the question. For my point of view, if you
have pressurization and heating, then whatever Pc could work at 30000ft
and also more (e.g. satellites). As I think this is not the point,
could you please explain me the aim of your project?
See you

Old June 6th 06, 01:32 AM posted to sci.space.tech

oups.com...

Chris ha scritto:

I had posted awhile back looking for a laptop and hard drive that could
work at 30,000ft. I found a suitable hard drive at
www.mt-optech.com.....just wanted to post in case anyone else ever ran
into the same problem. There might also be an issue with the LCD
screen in the laptop working at 30000ft and that's the next thing I
have to look into. Fortunately we don't have an aggressive schedule on
this project.

he means at 30,000 feet unheated and not pressurized.

Old June 10th 06, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.tech

Chris wrote:
I had posted awhile back looking for a laptop and hard drive that could
work at 30,000ft. I found a suitable hard drive at
www.mt-optech.com.....just wanted to post in case anyone else ever ran
into the same problem. There might also be an issue with the LCD
screen in the laptop working at 30000ft and that's the next thing I
have to look into. Fortunately we don't have an aggressive schedule on
this project.

How big does it have to be? Apacer makes flash-based IDE hard drive
equivalents up to 32 GB. They're not cheap, but anything at 30 kft
won't be anyway.

You want to look at cooling; I suspect lower atmospheric density at
altitude will do thermal transfer out of the laptop no good at all.

Francois.

Old June 12th 06, 06:08 PM posted to sci.space.tech

(null) wrote:
How big does it have to be? Apacer makes flash-based IDE hard drive
equivalents up to 32 GB. They're not cheap, but anything at 30 kft
won't be anyway.

Are they ECC? I don't think you want to rely on non-ECC memory at
that altitude - cosmic rays and the like being what they are, and my
recollection of issues years ago with the-large 1MB parity caches on
CPUs in machines in Denver...

rick jones